Ocean City Fire Dept.: Carbon Monoxide Detectors Vital - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Reported by Steve Dorsey

Ocean City Fire Dept.: Carbon Monoxide Detectors Vital

Updated:
The Ocean City Fire Department says that since February, many single- and multi-family dwellings have been legally required to have functioning carbon monoxide detectors. (Photo: WBOC) The Ocean City Fire Department says that since February, many single- and multi-family dwellings have been legally required to have functioning carbon monoxide detectors. (Photo: WBOC)

OCEAN CITY, Md.- After six people were sickened by a carbon monoxide leak at an Ocean City hotel earlier this month, the Ocean City Fire Marshal's office says it was a "catalyst" to begin surveying the town for the number of required carbon monoxide detectors.

The Ocean City Fire Department says that since February, many single- and multi-family dwellings have been legally required to have functioning carbon monoxide detectors. Those that do not could face a $1,000 fine.

But the Fire Marshal's office said it can not possibly check every room in the town that is required to have a detector, but will rather sample areas in the town.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly, and symptoms of it can be similar to those of influenza.

"One of the big signs is if more than one person in your house is feeling sick, you definitely want to call your fire department to be checked if you do have something that could put off carbon monoxide in your home," said OCFD spokesman Ryan Whittington. 

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices