Nearly 2,000 Cited in Del. Seatbelt Campaign - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Written by Kye Parsons

Nearly 2,000 Cited in Del. Seatbelt Campaign

Posted:
(Photo: MGN) (Photo: MGN)

DOVER, Del.- Police across Delaware cited nearly 2,000 people for not wearing their seat belts during the two-week Click It or Ticket campaign, according to the state Office of Highway Safety.

The OHS says the 1,973 citations issued to drivers and passengers is 374 lower than the number issued in the 2008 campaign. The campaign ran from May 10 through Memorial Day.

Officials say seat-belt usage has risen from 68 percent to 91 percent in Delaware since the first 2002 Click It or Ticket campaign.

"Seat belts save lives and we hope this means that more people are actively taking part in this life saving behavior," said Tricia Roberts, director of the OHS.  "Wearing a seat belt is the simplest thing you can do to improve your chances of surviving a crash by as much as 50 percent."  

During the campaign, 15 drivers for driving under the influence, issued five citations for underage drinking violations and cited 466 others for speeding.

Additionally, officers issued 82 citations to drivers for child restraint violations, captured 44 wanted individuals, made 27 drug arrests, three felony arrests, seized two weapons and issued 880 citations for a variety of other traffic violations. 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:07 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:07:17 GMT
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office.More
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office. More
  • Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Thursday, April 24 2014 1:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 17:05:28 GMT
    BERLIN, Md. – The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant said a small fire started in the kitchen of the restaurant, which is located on Main Street.More
    The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant on Main Street in Berlin says a small fire started in the kitchen late Thursday morning.More
  • Fire Destroys Mid-Atlantic Family Practice in Lewes

    Fire Destroys Mid-Atlantic Family Practice in Lewes

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-04-25 03:34:48 GMT
    Fire broke out at the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice office on Route 24 in Lewes this afternoon. Heavy black smoke was seen billowing from the building.More
    Fire broke out at the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice office on Route 24 in Lewes this afternoon. Heavy black smoke was seen billowing from the building.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service