Former Basketball Tournament Director Arrested for Stalking - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Reported by Cassandra Kramer

Former Basketball Tournament Director Arrested for Stalking

Posted: Updated:
Robert Jacobs Robert Jacobs

MILFORD, Del.- Delaware State Police arrested 52-year-old Robert Jacobs on Friday for stalking, following a month-long investigation.

Troopers say they were called in to investigate after letters were sent to the Cape Henlopen School District accusing a teacher of inappropriate misconduct with students.  They say the letters continued not only to the school district but also to Wesley College in Dover, accusing a coach of similar misconduct. In addition, troopers say letters were sent to Legislative Hall accusing a department secretary in similar behavior. 

Officers say the letters were not only sent to the three places of employment but to the civic association where the Wesley Coach resided.   Delaware State Police began working with Dover Police and a common theme developed during the investigation.

All three individuals, according to police, who were accused of the misconduct , were once involved with the Delaware Interscholastic Athletic Association.  The organization was formerly known as the Delaware Scholastic Secondary Athletic Association.  This organization oversaw the "Slam Dunk to the Beach Tournament" which Jacobs was the director.

Police say the name signed to the letters appeared to be fictitious.  Troopers say they traced the origin of the letters and discovered evidence linking Jacobs to the letters.  

Troopers say raided Jacobs' Milford home and seized his computer.  A forensic examination was performed on the computer which, officers say, revealed additional evidence implicating Jacobs' involvement.  

Jacobs had been director of the "Slam Dunk to the Beach" high school basketball tournament.  Jacobs received several hundred thousand dollars in state grants to hold the annual tournament.

Jacobs dropped out of sight after canceling the 2004 Slam Dunk tournament, citing health issues.

An indictment alleges that Jacobs forged signatures and cashed checks totaling more than 65-thousand dollars from a Slam Dunk account.

He was charged with one count of theft over $50,000 and 12 counts of forgery in Kent County Superior Court. Officials say he fled to Miami, Florida and eluded capture for a few years until US Marshals caught up with him. Jacobs eventually struck a deal with prosecutors and was sentenced to two years in prison.  

The three victims that Jacobs targeted had involvement in bringing to light the misappropriations of funds, according to police.

On Friday, Jacobs was charged with three counts of stalking.  He was arraigned and committed to the Department of Correction in default of $9,000 cash bail.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices