Va. Man Charged in 2010 DC-Area Military Shootings - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Va. Man Charged in 2010 DC-Area Military Shootings

Posted:

LEESBURG, Va. (AP) - Authorities say more charges are possible against a Marine Corps reservist accused of shooting at military buildings last year in the Washington area.

Neil MacBride, the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, said Thursday that the investigation into 22-year-old Yonathan Melaku is ongoing. He says the evidence against Melaku is "very concerning."

James McJunkin, the assistant director in charge of the FBI Washington field office, says Melaku had not been known to authorities before he was arrested last Friday. He had been detained after officers found him inside Arlington National Cemetery, carrying a backpack with bomb-making materials inside.

McJunkin says it appears Melaku had intended to carry out some sort of vandalism in the cemetery.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices