ASHBURN, VA – The Washington Redskins selected guard Josh LeRibeus (luh-REE-bus) in the third round (No. 71 overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft. The Redskins acquired the 71st and 217th selections from the Buffalo Bills in exchange for the 69th overall choice.
LeRibeus (6-2, 311) played
in 36 games with 28 starts in three seasons at Southern Methodist, where
he blocked for 2011 Conference USA leading rusher Zach Line (1,224
Last season, LeRibeus, 22, started all 13 games at left guard. He was a member of a Mustangs offense that averaged 274.8 passing yards per game (third in C-USA).
As a sophomore in 2009, LeRibeus started all 13 games at left guard and was named an honorable mention All-C-USA selection by the league's coaches. He blocked for an offense that set single-season school records in total offense (5,093), passing yards (3,666) and points (380). He helped lead the Mustangs to their first bowl appearance since 1984, defeating Nevada, 45-10, in the 2009 Hawaii Bowl.
In 2008, following a redshirt year, LeRibeus played in 10 games with two starts, blocking for an offense that passed for a school-record-tying 29 touchdowns.
LeRibeus was born on July 2, 1989 and attended Berkner H.S. in Richardson, Texas, where he was named an All-Area selection by
The Dallas Morning News.
NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF JOSH LERIBEUS
· LeRibeus is the fourth pick selected all-time by the Redskins at No.71 overall, joining end Art Porter (1945), guard Gene Pepper (1950) and linebacker Rick Hamilton (1993).
·LeRibeus is the 417th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 19th third-round selection in that time frame. He is the 58th third-round selection by the Redskins all-time since the institution of the draft in 1936.
· LeRibeus' selection is the highest the team has selected a guard since selecting Tré Johnson with the No. 31 overall pick in 1994. Before Johnson's selection, the last time the Redskins had taken a guard that high was in 1981, when the Redskins drafted future Pro Football Hall of Famer Russ Grimm with the No. 69 overall pick.
· Including the Redskins' selection of QB Robert Griffin III with the No. 2 overall pick, 2012 marks the first time the Redskins have selected a quarterback and an offensive lineman with the first two picks since selecting QB Heath Shuler and Johnson with the team's first two selections of the 1994 NFL Draft.
· LeRibeus is the sixth SMU product to be drafted by the Redskins. The following is a list of SMU players selected by the Redskins in team history:
DRAFT ROUND OVERALL PLAYER
1945 21 216 T Sid Halliday
1945 23 236 E Gabby Martin
1952 4 43 C Dick Hightower
1952 27 319 E Ben White
2011 6 178 WR Aldrick Robinson
2012 3 71 G Josh LeRibeus
· Including receiver Aldrick Robinson's selection in 2011, LeRibeus' selection marks the first time the Redskins have drafted SMU products in consecutive years. However, the Redskins have picked two SMU players and a single draft on two occasions (1945 and 1952).
· LeRibeus is the second SMU player drafted by a team coached by Mike Shanahan, joining Robinson (2011).
· LeRibeus is the highest-drafted SMU player by any NFL team since the Chicago Bears selected WR Ron Morris with the No. 54 overall pick of the 1987 draft.
· LeRibeus is the fifth Conference USA player selected by a Shanahan-coached team, joining WR Chad Plummer (1999 NFL Draft, University of Cincinnati), WR Adrian Madise (2003, TCU), WR Brandon Marshall (2006, Central Florida) and Robinson.