Conviction of Del. Pedophile Pediatrician Upheld - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Conviction of Del. Pedophile Pediatrician Upheld

Posted: Updated:
Earl Bradley Earl Bradley

DOVER, Del. (WBOC/AP)- The Delaware Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the conviction of former pediatrician Earl Bradley, who is serving life in prison for sexually abusing scores of patients over more than a decade.
 
In a 22-page ruling, the court said Bradley's appeal challenging a search warrant that police used to seize homemade videos of his sexual assaults was without merit. Writing for the court, Justice Henry duPont Ridgely said police acted properly in executing a search warrant at Bradley's medical office in Lewes in 2009.
 
Bradley's attorneys argued that the warrant did not allow police to search an outbuilding where they found computer flash drives containing videos of the sexual assaults. They also argued that the warrant allowed only a limited search for medical files on eight patients, not a general search of the entire property.
 
"This was not a general, exploratory search prohibited by the United States and the Delaware Constitutions," Ridgely wrote.
 
Bradley, 59, was convicted last year by a judge who viewed more than 13 hours of videos showing sex crimes against more than 80 victims, most of them toddlers. He waived his right to a jury trial after the judge denied a motion to suppress the video evidence because it had been illegally seized.
 
Defense attorney Robert Goff argued to the Supreme Court last month that police used the warrant to search not just for medical files, but for child pornography, which they were prevented from doing a year earlier after a previous search warrant was denied.
 
Goff said police offered no evidence in the search warrant affidavit that Bradley kept images of patients in digital form as part of their medical files. The defense also argued that police searched all four buildings on the property, although the warrant mentioned only two buildings - the main office building and a white outbuilding behind it. The videos were found in an outbuilding that had a distinctive black-and-white checkerboard pattern on its front facade and which defense attorneys claim was not described in the warrant.
 
While police recovered paper files for seven of the eight patients listed in the search warrant from the main office, the Supreme Court said it was reasonable for them to continue the search in other buildings and on computers and digital storage devices for other files relating to the eight complainants. Ridgely said it was "common sense" to infer that a modern medical practice would keep at least some patient records in electronic format.
 
He also wrote that the trial judge's decision that the checkerboard-facade building was in fact the white outbuilding described in the warrant was "not clearly erroneous."
 
The Supreme Court also concluded that any defect in the search of the two other buildings not described in the warrant was immaterial because no evidence collected from them was introduced at trial.
 
Attorney General Beau Biden said in a prepared statement, "Earl Bradley will never walk out of prison. We are gratified by the clarity of the Court's thoughtful and well-crafted decision and the finality that it brings to the legal process. Our job — to take care of the victims and their families as they heal from these unspeakable crimes — will never end."

Defense attorneys did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Updated: Fire Ruins Historical Hebron Church

    Updated: Fire Ruins Historical Hebron Church

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 4:31 PM EDT2014-07-22 20:31:09 GMT
    Fire has destroyed the historical St. Paul's Episcopal Church located on westbound Route 50 in Hebron.More
    Authorities are investigating a Tuesday fire that destroyed the historical St. Paul's Episcopal Church at the corner of Memory Gardens Lane and Route 50 in Hebron, Md. Preliminary damage is estimated at approximately $500,000.More
  • Two Killed in Del. Crash

    Two Killed in Del. Crash

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:45 AM EDT2014-07-22 15:45:19 GMT
    Delaware State Police say two Dover men were killed Monday night after the tow truck they were riding in went off the road and crashed into a telephone pole near Little Creek.More
    Delaware State Police say two Dover men were killed Monday night after the tow truck they were riding in went off the road and crashed into a telephone pole near Little Creek. More
  • Federal Appeals Court Deals Blow to Health Law

    Federal Appeals Court Deals Blow to Health Law

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:46 AM EDT2014-07-22 15:46:35 GMT
    A federal appeals court has delivered a serious setback to President Barack Obama's health care law, potentially derailing subsidies for many low- and middle-income people who have bought policies.More
    A federal appeals court has delivered a serious setback to President Barack Obama's health care law, potentially derailing subsidies for many low- and middle-income people who have bought policies.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service