Federal Disaster Assistance Available in Del. After Sandy - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Federal Disaster Assistance Available in Del. After Sandy

(Photo: AP) (Photo: AP)

DOVER, Del.- In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the clean-up and recovery process may leave many property owners wondering where to go for financial assistance to recover from damages suffered in the storm.  

Some aid may be available to qualified property owners in Delaware through the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Damage assessment depends upon homeowners and other property owners reporting significant damage and storm related impacts to their local city or county Emergency Management Agency.

The numbers to call to report storm-related damage, and the staffing hours are:

  • In Wilmington: (302) 576-CITY (2489). Number staffed Mon.-Fri., 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
  • In New Castle County: (302) 395-5555. Number staffed Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
  • In Kent County: (302) 735-3465. Number staffed 24/7
  • In Sussex County: (302) 856-7366. Number staffed 24/7

According to FEMA, if significant damage to the home caused the resident to move out or if they will have to find other housing while repair work is performed, they should call their city or county Emergency Management Agency at the appropriate number listed.  If the residence is a mobile home and water reached floor level, owners should also call.

Business owners whose business had physical or economic losses that are not covered by private insurance should call their county Emergency Management Agency.

FEMA said that in doubt, call the proper city or county Emergency Management Agency.  Property owners who fail to call and make a claim could miss an opportunity for financial assistance.

Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service