Some Va. Bay Waters Closed to Shellfish Harvesting - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Some Va. Bay Waters Closed to Shellfish Harvesting

Posted:

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) - Some Virginia portions of the Chesapeake Bay are again closed to shellfish harvesting because of health concerns stemming from last week's flooding.

The temporary ban went into effect at 12:01 a.m. Thursday. It's expected to run through Nov. 18. It affects Lynnhaven Bay, and the James, Poquoson and Back rivers.

Last week, the Virginia Department of Health closed all of the state's portions of the bay to shellfish harvesting due to flooding resulting from Hurricane Sandy. The department lifted the overall ban on Saturday.

Division of Shellfish Sanitation director Robert Croonenberghs said that state officials are concerned about two viruses. Both the norovirus and the hepatitis virus could have entered urban rivers from sewage bypasses.

  • Delmarvawide NewsDelmarvawide NewsMore>>

  • Sex Abuse Settlement Drained by Victim's Family

    Sex Abuse Settlement Drained by Victim's Family

    Thursday, July 31 2014 1:45 PM EDT2014-07-31 17:45:18 GMT
    A Delaware judge says much of the settlement money for a man who was sexually abused by a Catholic priest has been spent by family members on cars, jewelry and other property.More
    A Delaware judge says much of the settlement money for a man who was sexually abused by a Catholic priest has been spent by family members on cars, jewelry and other property.More
  • Easton Woman Charged with Murder of Virginia Tech Student

    Easton Woman Charged with Murder of Virginia Tech Student

    Thursday, July 31 2014 12:48 PM EDT2014-07-31 16:48:41 GMT
    A 22-year-old Easton, Md. woman has been charged with both first- and second-degree murder in Virginia's Montgomery County Circuit Court.More
    A 22-year-old Easton, Md. woman has been charged with both first- and second-degree murder in Virginia's Montgomery County Circuit Court.More
  • Speedway to Host 9/11 Memorial Blood Drive

    Speedway to Host 9/11 Memorial Blood Drive

    Thursday, July 31 2014 12:46 PM EDT2014-07-31 16:46:07 GMT
    Dover International Speedway will host its ninth annual 9/11 Memorial Blood Drive on September 11. The event will take place in the Dover Downs Hotel and Casino from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. All donors will receive a complimentary pair of tickets to the NASCAR Nationwide Series race, scheduled for September 27 at the Speedway.More
    Dover International Speedway will host its ninth annual 9/11 Memorial Blood Drive on September 11. The event will take place in the Dover Downs Hotel and Casino from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. All donors will receive a complimentary pair of tickets to the NASCAR Nationwide Series race, scheduled for September 27 at the Speedway.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service