Two Shootings In Two Weeks on Same Street in Smyrna - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Two Shootings In Two Weeks on Same Street in Smyrna

SMYRNA, Del.- Sheila Lewis has lived in the town of Smyrna for about 12 years, but says her neighborhood has drastically changed.

"I'm afraid," Lewis said. Lewis and other neighbors have legitimate reasons for being afraid: two shootings- in two weeks and on the same street.

"That's something that makes me want to pick up and leave, which I have done," Lewis said. "I sold my home and I'm moving away. I'm moving down south. I can't live in this environment."

Smyrna police said the latest shooting, which happened on Wednesday, was a bold move. Investigators said it happened around 7:45 p.m. at a home on Summer Drive. Police said a stranger shot the homeowner after he opened his front door. The homeowner was taken to Bay Health Kent General Hospital in Dover where he remains in stable condition.

Very little information is known about the suspect. Investigators said he was wearing dark clothing.

"You have to be afraid. You better not open up your door," Lewis said.

Denise Warner has lived in the area for 20 years. She said the neighborhood is getting worse.

"There's gang members around here. I've witnessed that myself," she said. "I've been on police record, calling 911 myself and now a shooting, a couple of them. Yeah, I'm getting a little concerned."

The first shooting happened on Nov. 2. In that incident, police responded to a call in the 100 block of Summer Drive for a disorderly man. When officers arrived, that disorderly man was shot in the chest by a homeowner. The victim in that shooting was also taken to the hospital for treatment of his injuries.

Tiara Neal said she is concerned for her two children's safety.

"I'm definitely not happy about it because I walk my kids around here and me and my husband go running at night," Neal said.

"I'm afraid for my aunt that's 88-years-old on Dec. 8 that lives around the corner. I'm afraid for my aunt. I have several family members that live in the area," Lewis said.

Anyone with information on Wednesday's shooting is encouraged to make an anonymous call to Crime Stoppers at 1-888-TIP-3333.

Virginia State Police Mourn the Loss of Special Agent

Saturday, May 27 2017 9:58 PM EDT2017-05-28 01:58:12 GMT
    Saturday, May 27 2017 9:58 PM EDT2017-05-28 01:58:12 GMT
    Special Agent Michael T. Walter, 45Special Agent Michael T. Walter, 45

RICHMOND, Va. -- Virginia State Police are mourning the loss of an officer shot following a traffic stop Friday night.

Dover Leaders Say High-Crime Areas Will be Saturated With Police

Friday, May 26 2017 8:40 PM EDT2017-05-27 00:40:44 GMT
    Friday, May 26 2017 11:23 PM EDT2017-05-27 03:23:35 GMT

DOVER, Del. -- After a number of shooting incidents in recent weeks, Dover's mayor and police chief on Friday announced officers will be focusing their efforts in high-crime areas in the city. Dover Mayor Robin Christiansen said the effort comes after the city has seen more than 20 shooting incidents in 2017 and at a time when the summer is fast approaching and children and teenagers will be leaving school. "We are not going to ease up on the people that are using our city to c...

OC Business Owner Fined for Selling Out-of-State Cigarettes

Friday, May 26 2017 4:10 PM EDT2017-05-26 20:10:08 GMT
    Friday, May 26 2017 11:22 PM EDT2017-05-27 03:22:32 GMT

Ocean City Police  uncovered a cigarette smuggling scheme that resulted in the criminal citation of a local businessman for violating Maryland tax regulations.

Virginia State Police Mourn the Loss of Special Agent

Saturday, May 27 2017 9:58 PM EDT2017-05-28 01:58:12 GMT
    Saturday, May 27 2017 9:58 PM EDT2017-05-28 01:58:12 GMT
    Special Agent Michael T. Walter, 45Special Agent Michael T. Walter, 45

Man Found Guilty of Assault After Punching Correctional Officer

Friday, May 26 2017 7:57 PM EDT2017-05-26 23:57:58 GMT
    Friday, May 26 2017 11:21 PM EDT2017-05-27 03:21:36 GMT
    Eric Dolby was already serving a life sentence for burning a man alive.Eric Dolby was already serving a life sentence for burning a man alive.

A 27-year-old Wilmington man, already serving a life sentence for the 2008 murder of a Dover man, has been convicted by a superior court jury of assault in a detention facility.

Dover Leaders Say High-Crime Areas Will be Saturated With Police