Two Shootings In Two Weeks on Same Street in Smyrna - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Two Shootings In Two Weeks on Same Street in Smyrna

SMYRNA, Del.- Sheila Lewis has lived in the town of Smyrna for about 12 years, but says her neighborhood has drastically changed.

"I'm afraid," Lewis said. Lewis and other neighbors have legitimate reasons for being afraid: two shootings- in two weeks and on the same street.

"That's something that makes me want to pick up and leave, which I have done," Lewis said. "I sold my home and I'm moving away. I'm moving down south. I can't live in this environment."

Smyrna police said the latest shooting, which happened on Wednesday, was a bold move. Investigators said it happened around 7:45 p.m. at a home on Summer Drive. Police said a stranger shot the homeowner after he opened his front door. The homeowner was taken to Bay Health Kent General Hospital in Dover where he remains in stable condition.

Very little information is known about the suspect. Investigators said he was wearing dark clothing.

"You have to be afraid. You better not open up your door," Lewis said.

Denise Warner has lived in the area for 20 years. She said the neighborhood is getting worse.

"There's gang members around here. I've witnessed that myself," she said. "I've been on police record, calling 911 myself and now a shooting, a couple of them. Yeah, I'm getting a little concerned."

The first shooting happened on Nov. 2. In that incident, police responded to a call in the 100 block of Summer Drive for a disorderly man. When officers arrived, that disorderly man was shot in the chest by a homeowner. The victim in that shooting was also taken to the hospital for treatment of his injuries.

Tiara Neal said she is concerned for her two children's safety.

"I'm definitely not happy about it because I walk my kids around here and me and my husband go running at night," Neal said.

"I'm afraid for my aunt that's 88-years-old on Dec. 8 that lives around the corner. I'm afraid for my aunt. I have several family members that live in the area," Lewis said.

Anyone with information on Wednesday's shooting is encouraged to make an anonymous call to Crime Stoppers at 1-888-TIP-3333.

Worcester County Cooling Stations Opening

Thursday, July 20 2017 3:50 PM EDT2017-07-20 19:50:47 GMT
    Thursday, July 20 2017 3:50 PM EDT2017-07-20 19:50:47 GMT
    Worcester County Emergency Service officials are advising people to use caution this week as extreme temperatures come across Delmarva.More

Delaware Woman Arrested for Dorchester County Stabbing

07/20/2017 15:30:00 -04:002017-07-20 19:30:00 GMT
    Thursday, July 20 2017 3:30 PM EDT2017-07-20 19:30:50 GMT
    (Photo: MGN)(Photo: MGN)
    A Delaware woman has been arrested in connection with a Dorchester County stabbing, according to Maryland State Police.More

Drugs Found in Easton Car

Thursday, July 20 2017 3:25 PM EDT2017-07-20 19:25:27 GMT
    Thursday, July 20 2017 3:25 PM EDT2017-07-20 19:25:27 GMT
    (Photo Credit: MGN Online)(Photo Credit: MGN Online)
    EASTON, Md- Deputies from the Talbot County Sheriff's office stopped a motor vehicle on Matthewstown Road near Mile Post Drive for moving violations. The driver was identified as Brandi Nicole Payne, 35 of Easton, MD. The K-9 was deployed to conduct an oMore
    On June 29, deputies from the Talbot County Sheriff's office with assistance from the Talbot County Narcotics Task Force and members of the Maryland State Police stopped a motor vehicle on Matthewstown Road for moving violations.More
  • Most Popular VideosMost Popular VideosMore>>

Cambridge Remembers 1967 Race Riot

It's hard to believe Pine Street in Cambridge was once piled with burnt rock and debris.

The Cambridge Race Riots of 1967 left 17 buildings destroyed and a community - scarred. Herschel Johnson was in his late twenties at the time and lived down the street.

Virginia Town Loses Fire Department

The Accomack Board of Supervisors have voted, and with a 9-0 vote, decided to officially end the funding of the Onley Fire Department, meaning their doors are now closed to the public.

Crowds Line Up For Seafood At Tawes Clam Bake

Lines started forming early Wednesday afternoon at the 41st Annual J. Millard Tawes Crab and Clam Bake in Crisfield.  WBOC's Nicole Lauren spoke to some seafood lovers taking in the sun and good food.