Two Shootings In Two Weeks on Same Street in Smyrna - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Two Shootings In Two Weeks on Same Street in Smyrna

SMYRNA, Del.- Sheila Lewis has lived in the town of Smyrna for about 12 years, but says her neighborhood has drastically changed.

"I'm afraid," Lewis said. Lewis and other neighbors have legitimate reasons for being afraid: two shootings- in two weeks and on the same street.

"That's something that makes me want to pick up and leave, which I have done," Lewis said. "I sold my home and I'm moving away. I'm moving down south. I can't live in this environment."

Smyrna police said the latest shooting, which happened on Wednesday, was a bold move. Investigators said it happened around 7:45 p.m. at a home on Summer Drive. Police said a stranger shot the homeowner after he opened his front door. The homeowner was taken to Bay Health Kent General Hospital in Dover where he remains in stable condition.

Very little information is known about the suspect. Investigators said he was wearing dark clothing.

"You have to be afraid. You better not open up your door," Lewis said.

Denise Warner has lived in the area for 20 years. She said the neighborhood is getting worse.

"There's gang members around here. I've witnessed that myself," she said. "I've been on police record, calling 911 myself and now a shooting, a couple of them. Yeah, I'm getting a little concerned."

The first shooting happened on Nov. 2. In that incident, police responded to a call in the 100 block of Summer Drive for a disorderly man. When officers arrived, that disorderly man was shot in the chest by a homeowner. The victim in that shooting was also taken to the hospital for treatment of his injuries.

Tiara Neal said she is concerned for her two children's safety.

"I'm definitely not happy about it because I walk my kids around here and me and my husband go running at night," Neal said.

"I'm afraid for my aunt that's 88-years-old on Dec. 8 that lives around the corner. I'm afraid for my aunt. I have several family members that live in the area," Lewis said.

Anyone with information on Wednesday's shooting is encouraged to make an anonymous call to Crime Stoppers at 1-888-TIP-3333.

Police Investigate Burglary at Dover Chapel

09/21/2017 11:53:00 -04:002017-09-21 15:53:00 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 12:00 PM EDT2017-09-21 16:00:48 GMT
    A Dover woman was arrested after providing officers with a fake name.A Dover woman was arrested after providing officers with a fake name.
    Police are investigating a burglary that occurred at the Wesley Chapel early Thursday morning.More

Laurel Fire Victim Calls for Change to State Code

09/21/2017 11:24:00 -04:002017-09-21 15:24:00 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 11:45 AM EDT2017-09-21 15:45:57 GMT
    LAUREL, Del. - Richard Turner says a fire that destroyed his home last week could have been prevented if Delaware's state fire protection regulations were different. The State Fire Marshal's office confirms that the fire was caused by a staple piercMore

Fire Damages Salisbury Home

09/21/2017 11:32:00 -04:002017-09-21 15:32:00 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 11:43 AM EDT2017-09-21 15:43:13 GMT
    Authorities are investigating an early Thursday fire that caused thousands of dollars in damage to a home in Salisbury.More

Former NFL Cheerleader Completes Weekend Del. Prison Stays

09/21/2017 04:07:00 -04:002017-09-21 08:07:00 GMT
    Thursday, September 21 2017 4:10 AM EDT2017-09-21 08:10:21 GMT
    A former Baltimore Ravens cheerleader who pleaded guilty to raping a 15-year-old boy at a vacation rental home in Delaware no longer has to report every other weekend to a Delaware prison facility.More

Woman Arrested In Newark Home Invasion

09/20/2017 22:25:00 -04:002017-09-21 02:25:00 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 10:36 PM EDT2017-09-21 02:36:24 GMT
    Courtesy of New Castle County PoliceCourtesy of New Castle County Police
    New Castle County Police have arrested 32-year-old Elizabeth Noone in connection to the home invasion that occurred in the community of Stones Throw Townhouses this morning.More

39 Arrests in Smyrna Street Drug Operation

09/20/2017 04:11:00 -04:002017-09-20 08:11:00 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 10:51 AM EDT2017-09-20 14:51:57 GMT

A major investigation into a street drug operation in Smyrna leads to the arrest of 39 people, authorities said.

A major investigation into a street drug operation in Smyrna, Del. has led to the arrest of 39 people, authorities said.