Retailers Getting a Head Start for Black Friday - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Retailers Getting a Head Start for Black Friday

(Photo: WBOC) (Photo: WBOC)

DOVER, Del.- The kickoff to the holiday shopping season used to be Black Friday, but not anymore. Many retailers are now inviting shoppers to their stores on Thanksgiving night.

Crystal Harris was shopping at the Sears in Dover the day before Thanksgiving so she could get her holiday shopping done before Black Friday.

"I think the rush is crazy," she said. "I can't do it. We tried it about two years ago and it didn't work out the way we planned and I'm not doing it."

But Sears is expecting a big rush when it opens its doors at 8 o'clock Thanksgiving evening.

"I would think the lines would start around 3, 4 o'clock and I expect to see a couple hundred people outside our door like we have had in years past," said Operations Manager Keith Markowitz.

Jennifer Meekins is staying home on Thanksgiving but she knows many friends who are going shopping.

"They like the mob scene, it's fun for them," she said. "That's part of how they celebrate, I guess, but for me it's not my thing."

Even if they're not going out on Thanksgiving or Black Friday, shoppers are still expecting to get good deals.

"I'm a Cyber Monday girl so I'll be home in my pajamas shopping from my computer," Meekins said.

Many stores are offering special deals for customers willing to come in early.

"There seems to be a need, that's what the community wants," Markowitz said. "To be able to get great deals and proceed along with their day."

Harrington Police Investigating Rise in Credit Card Fraud

Feb 21, 2018 7:08 PM2018-02-22 00:08:00 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 8:30 PM EST2018-02-22 01:30:59 GMT
    HARRINGTON, Del. -- The Harrington Police Department is warning people of a possible card skimmer at local businesses after learning of a rise in credit and debit card fraud cases Wednesday. Harrington Police say they believe a card skimmer was placed onMore
    HARRINGTON, Del. -- The Harrington Police Department is warning people of a possible card skimmer at local businesses after learning of a rise in credit and debit card fraud cases Wednesday. Harrington Police say they believe a card skimmer was placed on More
  • Police Make Arrest in Dover Death Investigation

DSP Make Arrest in Dover Death Investigation

Feb 21, 2018 5:55 AM2018-02-21 10:55:00 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 8:12 AM EST2018-02-21 13:12:34 GMT
    Malcolm A. Casson (Photo: Delaware State Police)Malcolm A. Casson (Photo: Delaware State Police)
    Delaware State Police have charged a suspect with murder in connection with the stabbing death of a man whose body was found at the rear of the John Dickinson Plantation in Dover.More
    Delaware State Police have charged a suspect with murder in connection with the stabbing death of a man whose body was found at the rear of the John Dickinson Plantation in Dover. More

Two Arrested on Drugs & Firearm Charges in Dover

Feb 21, 2018 1:35 PM2018-02-21 18:35:00 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 1:50 PM EST2018-02-21 18:50:40 GMT
    Two people were arrested after a traffic stop in Dover that revealed drugs and firearms in their vehicle.More
    Two people were arrested on drugs and firearms charges following a traffic stop in Dover, Delaware.More