Woman Treated for Smoke Inhalation After Fire Ruins Home - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Woman Treated for Smoke Inhalation After Fire Ruins Wicomico Co. Home

Updated:
Sunday's fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to this home in Tyaskin, Md. (Photo: WBOC) Sunday's fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to this home in Tyaskin, Md. (Photo: WBOC)

TYASKIN, Md.- Authorities say an elderly woman had to be rushed to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation following a Sunday morning fire that left a home in ruins in western Wicomico County.

The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said the blaze broke out shortly after 10 a.m. at a one-story mobile home located at 21370 Nanticoke Road in Tyaskin.

It took 40 firefighters from the West Side Volunteer Fire Department approximately 15 minutes to get the fire under control. The fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to the structure and another $7,000 in damage to its contents.

A neighbor helped one of the home's two occupants, 71-year-old Sarah Hull, escape through a bedroom window prior to firefighters' arrival. Hull received smoke inhalation injuries and was transported to Peninsula Regional Medical Center where she is listed in stable but critical condition.

Investigators determined the fire started in the kitchen. They have ruled the fire accidental, saying it was caused by an electrical failure of household wiring.

The American Red Cross is assisting the occupants.

 

Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service