Marylanders Expected to Spend More on Gifts This Holiday Season - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Marylanders Expected to Spend More on Gifts This Holiday Season

Updated:
(Photo: WBOC) (Photo: WBOC)

CAMBRIDGE, Md.- Maryland families are predicted to spend more on holiday gifts this year than last.

The average Maryland family is expected to spend around $749.51 on gifts and save more than $632 by buying gifts online, according to TopCashback.com, a cashback rebates site.

Some Maryland residents say those numbers are an indication of an improving economy.

"I think we are still not doing as well as we need to do, but I believe Obama is on the right track and I think that he is helping the middle class," said Sharon Gordon of Chestertown.

But not everyone agrees, like Shirley Tolley of Cambridge, who said there are still many families hurting financially.

"I just don't think the economy has improved that much, I really don't," Tolley said. "With the storm that hit us, people are donating, and are other families that have been in the flood. I just can't see it, I really can't."

Not only will Maryland families be spending more, but according to TopCashback.com, many will be doing it by the click of a mouse.

"Oh, I shop online all the time," said Diane Breig.

"It's easier, you don't have to run around to different stores looking for something. You can go online and your done and over with," said Darlene Windsor.

Online spending is expected to reach $43 billion this holiday season. Breig said online shopping is good for specific items, but not all.

"If it's an electronic gift, definitely do it online," Breg said. "But if it's a more personal gift like clothes or a toy, I would like to see that in person."

For Sharon Gordon, buying in person is the only way to shop.

"I am not an online person. I would rather be there in person deciding if that's what I really want," Gordon said.

Charges Filed in Draper Crash

Apr 21, 2018 4:42 PM2018-04-21 20:42:00 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 4:42 PM EDT2018-04-21 20:42:17 GMT
    SUSSEX COUNTY, Del.- A Lewes Man is now facing charges in connection with the accident that fatally wounded longtime WBOC owner Thomas Draper. According to the Delaware Department of Justice, Shawn Armstrong was arrested on January 10th of this year. He iMore

Horses Spotted Running Through Laurel

Apr 21, 2018 5:22 PM2018-04-21 21:22:00 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 6:00 PM EDT2018-04-21 22:00:04 GMT
    An unusual siting in Sussex County Saturday as more than a dozen horses were found running through the streets in Laurel.More
    An unusual sighting in Sussex County Saturday as more than a dozen horses were found running through the streets in Laurel. More

Former Basketball Star Sentenced to Life in Prison for Salisbury Murder

Thursday, April 21 2016 3:18 PM EDT2016-04-21 19:18:28 GMT
    Thursday, April 21 2016 11:36 PM EDT2016-04-22 03:36:13 GMT
    Larry Ennis (Photo: Salisbury Police Department)Larry Ennis (Photo: Salisbury Police Department)

A former high school basketball standout was sentenced Thursday to life in prison for the murder of a teenager last summer.