SMYRNA, Del.- Authorities blame faulty Christmas tree lights for sparking a late Thursday night fire that caused thousands of dollars in damage to a Smyrna home.
The Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office said the blaze was reported by the homeowner shortly before 11 p.m. at the home located on the 300 block of Ronald Lane in the Glenwood Development.
The Citizens Hose Company of Smyrna responded to the fire and arrived with flames coming from the one-story home. The fire was placed under control at 11:24 p.m. with no injuries reported.
Investigators determined the fire was accidental and originated in the living room. They said it was caused by an electrical failure with Christmas tree lights that ignited the tree and spread to nearby combustibles.
The fire caused an estimated $35,000 in damage to the home, which investigators said was equipped with working smoke detectors. The victims are staying with nearby relatives.
Saturday, May 18 2013 10:19 AM EDT2013-05-18 14:19:20 GMT
DELMAR, Del-This week WBOC has been following the discussion about adding two more casinos in Delaware; one of them being in Sussex County. A house committee in the First State put a plan for two moreMore
This week WBOC has been following the discussion about adding two more casinos in Delaware; one of them being in Sussex County. A House committee in the First State put a plan for two more casinos temporarily on hold.More
A Sussex County teenager spent some of the last moments of her life locked in a hospital restroom, struggling to breathe, as hospital staff members searched for a key, according to court records. WBOC's Michael Lopardi reports.More