Del. Furniture Store Fire Ruled Accidental - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Del. Furniture Store Fire Ruled Accidental

Updated:
Damages were estimated at the time of the fire to be approximately $750,000. (Photo: WBOC) Damages were estimated at the time of the fire to be approximately $750,000. (Photo: WBOC)

MILFORD, Del.- Authorities say a late December fire that destroyed a historic furniture store in downtown Milford was accidental in nature.

Heavy heat and smoke severely damaged the three-story Warren Furniture store on the 100 block of South Walnut Street shortly after 9 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 26. The Carlisle Fire Company of Milford, along with numerous other fire companies, responded and battled the fire for nearly three hours before placing it under control.

The Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office on Friday announced that the investigation into the blaze concluded that the fire originated in the rear of the first floor showroom, and was caused by an electrical failure in fixed branch circuitry. Investigators believe that due to the location of the failure and type of building construction, the fire burned for an extended time before being discovered. The business was not required to have a fire alarm system due to the age of the building and long-standing tenant, investigators said.

Damages were estimated at the time of the fire to be approximately $750,000. There were no reported injuries.

  • Delmarvawide NewsDelmarvawide NewsMore>>

  • Wife of Congressman Andy Harris Passes Away

    Wife of Congressman Andy Harris Passes Away

    Thursday, August 28 2014 7:01 PM EDT2014-08-28 23:01:16 GMT
    The wife of U.S. Rep. Andy Harris passed away unexpectedly Thursday.More
    The wife of U.S. Rep. Andy Harris passed away unexpectedly Thursday.More
  • Maryland Universities and Colleges Prepare for Campus Fire Safety Month

    Maryland Universities and Colleges Prepare for Campus Fire Safety Month

    Thursday, August 28 2014 5:57 PM EDT2014-08-28 21:57:05 GMT
    As a new semester begins on college campuses throughout the state, State Fire Marshal Brian S. Geraci reminds students to take actions to protect themselves and their friends from the devastating effects of fire. The State of Maryland has deemed September as “Campus Fire Safety Month.”More
    As a new semester begins on college campuses throughout the state, State Fire Marshal Brian S. Geraci reminds students to take actions to protect themselves and their friends from the devastating effects of fire. The State of Maryland has deemed September as “Campus Fire Safety Month.”More
  • No Change of Venue in Scarborough Case

    No Change of Venue in Scarborough Case

    Thursday, August 28 2014 5:23 PM EDT2014-08-28 21:23:55 GMT
    18-year-old Jocori Scarborough, accused of raping a 15-year-old female student inside a Wicomico County school, will not have his trial moved out of the county.  Scarborough's defense attorney made the motion for a change of venue Thursday in court, but the motion was denied.More
    18-year-old Jocori Scarborough, accused of raping a 15-year-old female student inside a Wicomico County school, will not have his trial moved out of the county.  Scarborough's defense attorney made the motion for a change of venue Thursday in court, but the motion was denied. More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service