Health Officials: Norovirus Present in Del. - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Health Officials: Norovirus Present in Del.

Posted:
(Photo: MGN) (Photo: MGN)

DOVER, Del. (AP/WBOC) - Delaware health officials say there have been outbreaks of norovirus in the state this month.

The Division of Public Health received its first report of the gastrointestinal virus on Jan. 3 and has investigated several cases since then.

Norovirus typically occurs during the winter months. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and stomach cramping. Officials say the illness can be severe for elderly people or those with underlying health conditions.

Norovirus is not related to influenza, so there's no link to the high number of flu cases so far this season.

Officials advise frequent hand-washing with soap and water. People who are vomiting or experiencing diarrhea are urged not to go to school, work or daycare.

For more information about norovirus and its treatment and prevention, click here

  • Delmarvawide NewsDelmarvawide NewsMore>>

  • Gov. O'Malley Says Don't Turn Away Immigrant Kids

    Gov. O'Malley Says Don't Turn Away Immigrant Kids

    Sunday, July 27 2014 6:27 AM EDT2014-07-27 10:27:14 GMT
    Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley told Nebraska Democrats that the United States shouldn't be turning away children from Central America.More
    Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley told Nebraska Democrats that the United States shouldn't be turning away children from Central America.More
  • Korean War Vets Honored With Memorial

    Korean War Vets Honored With Memorial

    Sunday, July 27 2014 6:58 PM EDT2014-07-27 22:58:40 GMT
    Sunday marks the 61st anniversary of the end of the Korean War. A memorial in honor of the Korean War Veterans was revealed Sunday in the Veterans Memorial Park in Dover.More
    Sunday marks the 61st anniversary of the end of the Korean War. A memorial in honor of the Korean War Veterans was revealed Sunday in the Veterans Memorial Park in Dover.More
  • Harper Sentenced in Sussex Kidnapping Case

    Harper Sentenced in Sussex Kidnapping Case

    Sunday, July 27 2014 1:47 PM EDT2014-07-27 17:47:57 GMT
    A teen convicted of participating in the kidnapping and carjacking of an 89-year-old woman in Sussex County was sentenced Friday in Delaware Superior Court.More
    A teen convicted of participating in the kidnapping and carjacking of an 89-year-old woman in Sussex County was sentenced Friday in Delaware Superior Court.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service