Fruitland Family Told To Get Out - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Fruitland Family Told to Leave Home

Posted:
(Photo: WBOC) (Photo: WBOC)

SALISBURY, Md.-  Joyce Rozzell ran up and down the stairway in the house as a little girl, and now she says the Fruitland police want to run her out, with no place to go.

"I said take me to jail because I am not getting out of my house," said Rozzell of Fruitland.

The two-story white house with red trimmings is the only place she's ever called home.

"I don't know where I would go," Rozzell said. "I get SSI. I put all of my money in fixing up the house."

Rozeell and her husband, Ronald Peeples, have six days to fix the roof, windows and other structural problems that code enforcement officers say are needed. But, Fruitland Police Chief Michael Phillips said patching things up here and there isn't good enough.

"They've failed to meet the requirements that my code enforcement officers have given them about repairing the property," Phillips said.

Peeples said he and a friend worked on the home. They've said they everything the police asked of them.

"The father did some work on the ceiling but he didn't do it properly and it fell in," Peeples said. "It didn't fall in because of leakage, it fell in because of being improperly put up."

City officials have noticed a clean-up effort, but say that's not good enough.

"There has been a lot of clean-ups for the last couple months inside the residence but very little structural repairs, " said Chief Phillips.

Peeples says his family isn't the only one that's had to move out

"They gave me 15 days to get off my own property and move my trailer," said Adam Parks, Sr. of Fruitland. Adam parks senior use to live in fruitland- but now he's homeless.

"You wait until the dead winter to kick a family out of a house with kids. That's wrong to me," said Parks.

But Chief Phillips says that's not true.

"Ultimately with any of this code enforcement, it's for the safety of the community," said Phillips.

The family says they won't stop fighting for this house because it has been in the family for over one hundred years.

"I believe we met all of their codes. I am not going anywhere," Peeples said.

WBOC and FOX21 Reach Agreement with DIRECTV

Friday, August 1 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-01 12:00:27 GMT
    Craig Jahelka, vice president general manager of WBOC-TV issued the following statement early Friday: "WBOC-TV and FOX21 are pleased to announce we will continue to be available to DIRECTV subscribers. We have reached an agreement designed to secure continued carriage of our top-rated stations on DIRECTV for the foreseeable future. "We would like to express our heartfelt gratitude for the support and understanding our family, friends and neighbors here on Delmarva have demons...More

Va. Rep. Cantor Resigning Months Earlier Than Expected

Friday, August 1 2014 7:55 AM EDT2014-08-01 11:55:48 GMT
    U.S. Representative Eric Cantor (R-VA) will resign his seat in the House of Representatives months earlier than expected. More

White Marlin Open in Ocean City to Start Monday

Friday, August 1 2014 7:55 AM EDT2014-08-01 11:55:41 GMT
    The 2014 White Marlin Open will be held from August 4th through 8th in Ocean City, Maryland.More

Credit Card Scam Hits Ocean City

Thursday, July 31 2014 8:46 PM EDT2014-08-01 00:46:29 GMT
    OCEAN CITY, Md.- The Ocean City Police Department is advising citizens of a recent cyber-attack that compromised the security of numerous credit card processing companies nationwide.More

Easton Woman Charged with Murder of Virginia Tech Student

Thursday, July 31 2014 12:48 PM EDT2014-07-31 16:48:41 GMT
    A 22-year-old Easton, Md. woman has been charged with both first- and second-degree murder in Virginia's Montgomery County Circuit Court.More

Trimper's Rides Sued

Thursday, July 31 2014 10:09 PM EDT2014-08-01 02:09:38 GMT
    Friday June 28, 2012 started out as a normal day at the amusement park for J and his family until they rode the Hampton I, a mini car and truck ride.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service