Del. Man's Wallet Returns 3 Years After Going Missing - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Del. Man's Wallet Returns 3 Years After Going Missing

(Photo: WBOC) (Photo: WBOC)

MILFORD, Del.- There's an old saying that one man's trash is another man's treasure. But it seems sometimes one man's treasure can also be in another man's garbage - or at least garbage truck.

Harold Walls is a trash collector for the city of Milford. The story of his wallet starts on an average day three years ago.

"Midway through the day I realized I lost my wallet. The guy who was driving the truck, Rick Webb, I let him know. He took me to look for my wallet. We backtracked all of our steps."

"We looked everywhere - under the seats and everywhere around," Webb said. "We couldn't find it."

It was all gone.

"My license, credit cards, $800 in cash," Walls said.

Walls had a plan for that $800.

"A 55-inch, flat-screen, plasma TV," he said. "I was going to Wal-Mart and buy it. I was in a state of shock, as well as being mad at the same time."

But eventually Walls moved on; that is, until this past Friday.

"Friday morning I had come in, and my boss was holding something. He said, 'We found something that belongs to you.' I couldn't believe it."

Walls learned this story. Not long after he lost his wallet, Milford replaced the truck he'd been working out of that day and sold it as surplus on Ebay. A potato farmer in Maine bought the truck for parts. It took the farmer years to get around to taking apart the cab, which despite all the hunting, was exactly where the wallet was hiding. The wallet was soon on its way back to Delaware. And what's more, it wasn't empty.

"A couple of the guys were like, 'Is it all still there?' I counted it," Walls said. "It was there. I just couldn't explain it."

Walls and Webb says the whole thing is just amazing.

"The people who turned that wallet in - I think it was very kind of them," Webb said. "It was very truthful and honest."

"It definitely shows me there are definitely a lot of good people out in this world," said Walls. "You don't have to know them. They're out there."

Walls says now that he has his $800 back, the plan is to use that money for its original purpose. He'll be buying a new TV for his bedroom.

DelDOT Plans Front Street Upgrades in Milford

Apr 23, 2018 10:13 PM2018-04-24 02:13:00 GMT
    Monday, April 23 2018 10:13 PM EDT2018-04-24 02:13:16 GMT
    MILFORD, Del.- Front Street in Milford may soon get a makeover. On Monday, DelDOT unveiled plans to revamp the Front Street corridor from 113 to Rehoboth Boulevard. The plans include creating new, brick sidewalks and adding multi use paths up and down theMore
  • New Complaint Filed After Touch of Italy Founder Buys Back Company in Auction

New Complaint Filed After Touch of Italy Founder Wins Auction

Apr 23, 2018 10:01 PM2018-04-24 02:01:00 GMT
    Monday, April 23 2018 10:04 PM EDT2018-04-24 02:04:15 GMT
    SUSSEX COUNTY, Del.- Touch of Italy's ownership may be up for debate again. Days after founder Bob Ciprietti was the highest bidder for the restaurant chain, one of the original plaintiffs filed an amended complaint questioning the bidding process. A lawyMore

Failed Transformer to Blame for Mountaire Fire

Apr 23, 2018 8:14 PM2018-04-24 00:14:00 GMT
    Monday, April 23 2018 8:14 PM EDT2018-04-24 00:14:22 GMT
    A transformer atop a building at Mountaire Farms is to blame for a fire Monday afternoon, according to the Selbyville Volunteer Fire Company.More