Del. Man's Wallet Returns 3 Years After Going Missing - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Del. Man's Wallet Returns 3 Years After Going Missing

(Photo: WBOC) (Photo: WBOC)

MILFORD, Del.- There's an old saying that one man's trash is another man's treasure. But it seems sometimes one man's treasure can also be in another man's garbage - or at least garbage truck.

Harold Walls is a trash collector for the city of Milford. The story of his wallet starts on an average day three years ago.

"Midway through the day I realized I lost my wallet. The guy who was driving the truck, Rick Webb, I let him know. He took me to look for my wallet. We backtracked all of our steps."

"We looked everywhere - under the seats and everywhere around," Webb said. "We couldn't find it."

It was all gone.

"My license, credit cards, $800 in cash," Walls said.

Walls had a plan for that $800.

"A 55-inch, flat-screen, plasma TV," he said. "I was going to Wal-Mart and buy it. I was in a state of shock, as well as being mad at the same time."

But eventually Walls moved on; that is, until this past Friday.

"Friday morning I had come in, and my boss was holding something. He said, 'We found something that belongs to you.' I couldn't believe it."

Walls learned this story. Not long after he lost his wallet, Milford replaced the truck he'd been working out of that day and sold it as surplus on Ebay. A potato farmer in Maine bought the truck for parts. It took the farmer years to get around to taking apart the cab, which despite all the hunting, was exactly where the wallet was hiding. The wallet was soon on its way back to Delaware. And what's more, it wasn't empty.

"A couple of the guys were like, 'Is it all still there?' I counted it," Walls said. "It was there. I just couldn't explain it."

Walls and Webb says the whole thing is just amazing.

"The people who turned that wallet in - I think it was very kind of them," Webb said. "It was very truthful and honest."

"It definitely shows me there are definitely a lot of good people out in this world," said Walls. "You don't have to know them. They're out there."

Walls says now that he has his $800 back, the plan is to use that money for its original purpose. He'll be buying a new TV for his bedroom.

Police Investigating Pocomoke American Legion Shooting

Feb 18, 2018 3:03 PM2018-02-18 20:03:00 GMT
    Sunday, February 18 2018 3:03 PM EST2018-02-18 20:03:08 GMT
    Pocomoke Police are investigating a shooting that happened at the American Legion early Sunday morning.More
    Pocomoke Police are investigating a shooting that happened at the American Legion early Sunday morning. More

Delaware State Auditor Does Not Seek Re-election

Feb 17, 2018 11:41 PM2018-02-18 04:41:00 GMT
    Saturday, February 17 2018 11:41 PM EST2018-02-18 04:41:58 GMT
    DOVER, De.- Delaware state auditor, Tom Wagner, has announced he will not seek re-election this year. Wagner was appointed to the position in 1989 and was elected to his seventh term in 2014. He’s one of two Republicans elected to statewide office. More

Traffic Stop Leads to Police Pursuit; Weapons and Drugs Seized

Feb 17, 2018 3:27 PM2018-02-17 20:27:00 GMT
    Saturday, February 17 2018 3:32 PM EST2018-02-17 20:32:23 GMT
    Courtesy of the Georgetown Police Department Courtesy of the Georgetown Police Department
    The Georgetown Police Department said they arrested a Brooklyn, NY, man early Friday morning after he lead them on a pursuit and had various drugs and guns in his car.More
    The Georgetown Police Department said they arrested a Brooklyn, NY, man early Friday morning after he lead them on a pursuit and had various drugs and guns in his car. More