GEORGETOWN, Del.- In an estimate released by the White House earlier in the week, the state of Delaware stands to lose $86,000 for job search assistance. That means that approximately 3,200 fewer people could get the help they need to find employment.
Renee Roberson, who is the area operations manager for the Delaware Department of Labor's Georgetown office, said that more than 1,000 people come to the office every month for job help.
"People are looking for work, as you well know, and this is a great source for them to come to because we do a lot of job postings in our Delaware Job Link System," Roberson said.
The Georgetown office provides everything from computer access to a job training team at the disposal of those who need it. But the sequester could mean tens of thousand of dollars are cut from the job search assistance programs and thousands of fewer people could be helped.
"That's what I am here for now, to utilize those training services and the job search facility and to have that stripped away or taken from us, I don't think that would pan out too well at all," said James Richardson of Milton.
However, there is a mindset that exists that says these cuts are not enough. With the national debt growing, there are those like Mike Falkenstein of Georgetown, who believe sacrifices have to be made.
"You can't borrow your way out of debt," he said. "We can't continue to borrow money from China and you simply can't continue to spend money you don't have."
If the sequester does indeed go into effect on Friday and money is cut from the program, officials at the Department of Labor in Georgetown are ready to think outside the box to help those in need.
"As long as people can learn to use computers, and we have staff that can lend them guidance on job searching and people can do more of their own job searching with the staff guiding them, that would be the way we would go," Roberson said.
Barring any last minute deals in Washington, the sequester will take effect on Friday, and cut $85 billion from the federal budget during the remaining fiscal year.
Tuesday, June 18 2013 12:38 PM EDT2013-06-18 16:38:16 GMT
CAMDEN, Del.- Delaware State Police detectives have arrested a Camden-Wyoming man accused of raping a 15-year-old girl. Jason S. Anker, 32, was taken into custody Monday and charged with first-degreeMore
Delaware State Police detectives have arrested a Camden-Wyoming man accused of raping a 15-year-old girl.More
Fourteen-year-old Christina Atkins died two years ago. Her family said she was in a locked bathroom at Beebe Medical Center in Lewes giving a urine sample, when she had some sort of a medical emergency. What exactly that emergency was remains a mystery. Regardless, she was behind a locked door. WBOC's Mike Chesney reports.More