NEW YORK (AP) - Monster Beverage is hitting back at a lawsuit alleging its energy drinks were responsible for the death of a 14-year-old Maryland girl, saying that no blood test was performed to confirm the girl died of "caffeine toxicity."
The disclosures come amid intensifying scrutiny of energy drinks and their caffeine levels. A lawsuit filed last year by the family of Anais Fournier says the girl went into cardiac arrest after drinking two 24-ounce cans of Monster drinks in 24 hours.
In an interview, a lawyer for Monster said the company hired a team of physicians to review the medical reports and says they found no evidence that caffeine played a role in the girl's death.
A lawyer for the Fournier family did not immediately have a comment on the company's statements.