Kitchen Fire Displaces 2 Families in Salisbury - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Kitchen Fire Displaces 2 Families in Salisbury

Posted: Updated:
(Photo: WBOC) (Photo: WBOC)

SALISBURY, Md.- The Maryland Fire Marshal said that two families were displaced following an accidental fire that ruined a Salisbury home at around 4 a.m. Sunday.

"When I got out here fire was blazing out the third window," said Oak Hill resident, Charles Cotton, of Salisbury.

Cotton's home is just a couple doors down from the incident.

An investigation revealed that four units in a two-story house on Georgia Avenue were affected by the fire that started as the result of unattended cooking.

"I was downstairs sleep and I woke up because I smelled smoke," said Cotton. "And I was hoping it wasn't coming from my kitchen."

Fire officials told WBOC the fire started in the kitchen of unit "m," where a pot was left on the stove.

The tenants of unit "M" were not home when the fire started, but friends of the tenants were housesitting, according to officials.

"I just feel for the family," said Cotton. "I know it has to be devastating."

Along with Salisbury firefighters, crews from Hebron and Fruitland also assisted with controlling the fire.

Fire officials say it took 40 firefighters 45 minutes to battle the blaze.

The unit of where the fire started was occupied by friends of the tenants who were out of town. 

The loss to the structure was estimated at $400,000.
  • Delmarvawide NewsDelmarvawide NewsMore>>

  • Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Thursday, April 24 2014 1:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 17:05:28 GMT
    BERLIN, Md. – The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant said a small fire started in the kitchen of the restaurant, which is located on Main Street.More
    The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant on Main Street in Berlin says a small fire started in the kitchen late Thursday morning.More
  • Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:07 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:07:17 GMT
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office.More
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office. More
  • Suspects Arrested in Connection to Rehoboth Purse Snatching

    Suspects Arrested in Connection to Rehoboth Purse Snatching

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:05:23 GMT
    Delaware State Police have arrested two people in connection with a purse snatching at the Outlets in Rehoboth Beach.More
    Delaware State Police have arrested two people in connection with a purse snatching at the Outlets in Rehoboth Beach.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service