Officers Won't Be Charged After Deadly Police Chase - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Officers Won't Be Charged After Deadly Police Chase

Posted: Updated:
Wicomico State's Attorney Matthew Maciarello speaks during a Wednesday press conference held at the Salisbury Police Department. (Photo: WBOC) Wicomico State's Attorney Matthew Maciarello speaks during a Wednesday press conference held at the Salisbury Police Department. (Photo: WBOC)
Jorgens Sydney Jorgens Sydney

SALISBURY, Md.- Fifteen-year-old Jorgens Sydney was killed when the car he was driving struck a utility pole on Camden Avenue in Salisbury on March 7. Jorgens was an unlicensed driver and was being pursued by police after officers noticed erratic driving from the maroon Ford Contour.  After an investigation into the incident, the State's Attorney for Wicomico County has decided to not press charges against the officers.

Salisbury Police Chief Barbara Duncan said the officers were correct in pursuing Sydney about two weeks ago.

"During this incident, the officers detected numerous traffic violations that led those officers to believe the operator of this particular vehicle, the Ford Contour, may possibly be operating the vehicle in an impaired manner and therefore posing a risk to public safety," Duncan said.

The officers involved were Cpl. Richard Engle, Officer Timothy Robinson and Pfc. Joseph Burt. Wicomico State's Attorney Matthew Maciarello said Wednesday that all three officers acted professional in that chase that ended in Sydney's death.

"Probable cause does not exist to charge these officers with manslaughter by motor vehicle, reckless endangerment, reckless driving or negligent driving," Maciarello said.

WBOC spoke to Leopald Sydney, the uncle of Jorgens, after the news of the officers' fate was released.  He said that he did not think the officers deserved punishment and that he just misses spending time with his nephew.

The Salisbury Police Department is continuing its own internal investigation into the matter and asks that any witnesses of the chase or crash come forward with information.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:07 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:07:17 GMT
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office.More
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office. More
  • Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Thursday, April 24 2014 1:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 17:05:28 GMT
    BERLIN, Md. – The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant said a small fire started in the kitchen of the restaurant, which is located on Main Street.More
    The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant on Main Street in Berlin says a small fire started in the kitchen late Thursday morning.More
  • Fire Destroys Mid-Atlantic Family Practice in Lewes

    Fire Destroys Mid-Atlantic Family Practice in Lewes

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-04-25 03:34:48 GMT
    Fire broke out at the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice office on Route 24 in Lewes this afternoon. Heavy black smoke was seen billowing from the building.More
    Fire broke out at the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice office on Route 24 in Lewes this afternoon. Heavy black smoke was seen billowing from the building.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service