Salisbury Man Arrested for Assault, Threats - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Salisbury Man Arrested for Assault, Threats

Andrew Davonta Gibson Andrew Davonta Gibson

SALISBURY, Md.- Authorities say a 20-year-old Salisbury man is facing assault and related charges after he tried to assault his mother with a baseball bat and then threatening to burn down his family's home before fleeing the scene. Wednesday's incident also led to a nearby school being lockdown as a precautionary measure.

The Wicomico County Sheriff's Office said that at around 7:37 a.m. Wednesday, a deputy  responded to a disturbance at a home on the 1000 block of Marine Road in Salisbury. Police said that upon arrival, the deputy learned that the home's resident had gotten into an argument with her son, Andrew Davonta Gibson, when he began swinging an aluminum baseball bat at her head. Another family member was able to intercede and prevented Gibson from actually striking his mother, according to police.

Investigators said that during the altercation, Gibson also threatened to burn down his family's home. Gibson had already fled from the home prior to the deputy's arrival.

Police said that during the ensuing investigation, the deputy observed Facebook postings authored by Gibson dating as far back as April 11, in which he had made threats to harm other people. According to investigators, Gibson even made comments about having a Sandy Hook-type of incident. 

Deputies from the Wicomico County Sheriff's Office searched the area for Gibson and he was ultimately located at 2 p.m. in the vicinity of the Salisbury Zoo, at which point he was arrested. During the search, nearby Pemberton Elementary School was locked down as a precaution.

Police said that while in a holding cell at the Sheriff's Office, Gibson became loud and disorderly and placed toilet paper over the surveillance camera to prevent any monitoring of his behavior. Authorities said that when the deputy entered the holding cell to have Gibson cease his disruptive behavior and to remove the toilet paper, Gibson pushed the deputy in the chest. Police said that after a brief confrontation, the deputy was able to properly restrain Gibson in the cell. Upon being left alone again in the cell, police said Gibson stripped down to his underwear and urinated on the floor of the holding cell. 

For the Marine Road incident, Gibson was charged with first-degree assault, threat of arson, deadly weapon and reckless endangerment. For the incident that occurred at the Sheriff's Office, Gibson was charged with second-degree assault and malicious destruction of property. He was ordered held on $85,000 bond.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices