Del. Child Predator Task Force Reaches Milestone - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Del. Child Predator Task Force Reaches Milestone

Posted: Updated:

DOVER, Del. (WBOC) - A focus on cracking down on child predators is getting results in Delaware as the child predator task force reaches a major milestone.

Attorney General Beau Biden announced Wednesday the task force has now gotten 150 convictions. Prosecutors hit that number earlier this year.

The task force started back in 2007. The goal was to consolidate the state's effort to stop child predators a and give a lot of people a singular focus on protecting kids.

A large chunk of the task force's funding comes from federal money. It's added up to about $2 million since 2007. That money has paid for new equipment and extra staff. The task force currently has eight full-time staff, including prosecutors and investigators, and additional help from six people from Delaware State Police.

That staff includes Dep. Attorney General Abby Layton. She has been with the task force for a year.

"It is alarming how many child predators there are out there," she said. "We could triple our size and still have work do and still be very busy every day."

Biden says over the past six years the task force has made major strides: opening more than 800 investigations, executing almost 300 search warrants and making 235 arrests, which lead to those 150 convictions.

He says it's far more than what Delaware was doing prior to 2007.

"We probably get a warrant from the child predator unit once a week as part of an investigation."

While Biden is happy with those numbers - and a 2008 law that put a two-year mandatory minimum sentence on distributing child pornography - he's not happy about the sentencing situation in other areas.

Wednesday a judge gave probation to a Delaware man who prosecutors say came to a Kent County park to meet a 13-year-old girl, but instead found a cop.

"This is something people should go to jail for," Biden said. "Probation is not appropriate."

Biden says he's considering pushing for a mandatory-minimum jail sentence in these enticement cases, too, perhaps as soon as later this spring, though he may wait until the beginning of the legislative session next year. In the meantime, Layton will keep going after predators and educating kids on staying safe on the Internet.

"Not putting information out on the Internet," she said. "Because there are people out there trying to find vulnerable children to groom them, develop relationships with them and take a further step."

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Dead Shark Washes up on OC Beach

    Dead Shark Washes up on OC Beach

    07/25/2017 07:38:00 -04:002017-07-25 11:38:00 GMT
    Tuesday, July 25 2017 7:39 AM EDT2017-07-25 11:39:19 GMT
    This shark washed ashore in Ocean City on Monday. (Photo credit: Lloyd Fox/Baltimore Sun)This shark washed ashore in Ocean City on Monday. (Photo credit: Lloyd Fox/Baltimore Sun)
    Some beach goers in Ocean City got quite a surprise Monday when a large shark washed ashore.More
    Some beach goers in Ocean City, Maryland got quite a surprise Monday when a large shark washed ashore.More
  • Salisbury Man Sentenced to 25 Years After Third Felony Drug Conviction

    Salisbury Man Sentenced to 25 Years After Third Felony Drug Conviction

    Thursday, July 23 2015 12:15 PM EDT2015-07-23 16:15:04 GMT
    Thursday, July 23 2015 12:48 PM EDT2015-07-23 16:48:44 GMT
    A Salisbury man convicted last month of cocaine possession and “maintaining a common nuisance” has been sentenced to 25 years without parole, the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office announced Thursday.More
    A Salisbury man convicted last month of cocaine possession and “maintaining a common nuisance” has been sentenced to 25 years without parole, the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office announced Thursday.More
  • Assateague Horse Died After Eating Dog Food

    Assateague Horse Died After Eating Dog Food

    07/24/2017 15:45:00 -04:002017-07-24 19:45:00 GMT
    Monday, July 24 2017 3:57 PM EDT2017-07-24 19:57:23 GMT
    A photo of the mare that died after eating dog food at Assateague Island National Seashore. (Photo credit: L. Davis/Assateague Island National Seashore)A photo of the mare that died after eating dog food at Assateague Island National Seashore. (Photo credit: L. Davis/Assateague Island National Seashore)
    Officials say a wild horse was found dead after eating a large amount of dog food at Assateague Island National Seashore.More
    Officials say a wild horse was found dead after eating a large amount of dog food at Assateague Island National Seashore.More
  • Most Popular VideosMost Popular VideosMore>>

  • Tornado Destroys Homes in Stevensville

    Tornado Destroys Homes in Stevensville

    Several homes in the Bay City area of Stevensville were left extremely damaged after a tornado.

    More

    Several homes in the Bay City area of Stevensville were left extremely damaged after a tornado.

    More
  • Damage, Power Outages Reported in Queen Anne's Co. After Severe Weather

    Damage, Power Outages Reported in Queen Anne's Co. After Severe Weather

    A National Weather Service team is headed to Maryland's Eastern Shore to determine whether a tornado touched down there.

    The weather service says the team is headed to Queen Anne's County on Monday to assess damage from the early morning storm that downed trees, collapsed buildings and knocked out power to thousands overnight in the Stevensville area of Kent Island. County officials say one person was injured but those injuries were not life-threatening.

    More

    A National Weather Service team is headed to Maryland's Eastern Shore to determine whether a tornado touched down there.

    The weather service says the team is headed to Queen Anne's County on Monday to assess damage from the early morning storm that downed trees, collapsed buildings and knocked out power to thousands overnight in the Stevensville area of Kent Island. County officials say one person was injured but those injuries were not life-threatening.

    More
  • People of Cambridge Move on From Segregated Past

    People of Cambridge Move on From Segregated Past

    Fifty years ago, civil unrest in Cambridge reached a boiling point. Now fifty years later, people say they are ready to reflect on those times and to move forward.

    More

    Fifty years ago, civil unrest in Cambridge reached a boiling point. Now fifty years later, people say they are ready to reflect on those times and to move forward.

    More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices