Dover Mayor Pens Letter Opposing New Casinos in Delaware - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Dover Mayor Pens Letter Opposing New Casinos in Delaware

Posted: Updated:
Dover Mayor Carleton Carey (Photo: WBOC) Dover Mayor Carleton Carey (Photo: WBOC)

DOVER, Del. (WBOC) - The City of Dover may weigh in on the push to put two new casinos in Delaware with a strongly stated "no."

Mayor Carleton Carey wrote a letter to state lawmakers urging them to reject the most recent plan. City council members discussed endorsing that letter at Tuesday night's meeting.

Carey remembers the proposal to add more casinos that came up just two years ago.

"Our position I don't think has changed at all," Carey said. "I think that the three casinos in the state of Delaware is enough."

Carey, like many opponents to the plan, says there is a finite pie of gambling dollars available.

"You divide it up amongst five versus three. It puts a struggle on as it is now with the economy as it is and everything to make enough money to make it work for them."

Council President Dave Bonar agrees with Mayor Carey more casinos doesn't make sense.

"I certainly would be opposed to seeing two more venues in the state that would take away from the income that Dover Downs derives from the local economy and contributes to the local economy."

The expansion plan's supporters say new casinos will also mean more jobs in other parts of Delaware, Sussex and New Castle Counties, where the casinos would go. They also disagree that the pie isn't large enough for two more gambling locations.

Bonar says he doesn't think the plan has that much more traction this time than it has in the past.

"But that's a legislative matter," he said. "That's not a City of Dover matter. Whatever the will of the legislature is, that will happen. But speaking as one member of council, I can tell you I'm staunchly opposed to it.

Dover-area state lawmakers have also expressed strong opposition to allowing new casinos. He bill had a committee hearing earlier this month. It was temporarily put on hold and could come back up in committee before the end of the legislative session on June 30.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:07 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:07:17 GMT
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office.More
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office. More
  • Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Thursday, April 24 2014 1:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 17:05:28 GMT
    BERLIN, Md. – The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant said a small fire started in the kitchen of the restaurant, which is located on Main Street.More
    The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant on Main Street in Berlin says a small fire started in the kitchen late Thursday morning.More
  • Fire Destroys Mid-Atlantic Family Practice in Lewes

    Fire Destroys Mid-Atlantic Family Practice in Lewes

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-04-25 03:34:48 GMT
    Fire broke out at the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice office on Route 24 in Lewes this afternoon. Heavy black smoke was seen billowing from the building.More
    Fire broke out at the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice office on Route 24 in Lewes this afternoon. Heavy black smoke was seen billowing from the building.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service