Closed Hearing Held in Former Del. Candidate's Sex Case - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Closed Hearing Held in Former Del. Candidate's Sex Case

Posted:
Eric Bodenweiser Eric Bodenweiser

GEORGETOWN, Del. (AP/WBOC)- A defense motion to suppress evidence in the case of a former state Senate candidate charged with repeatedly molesting a boy more than 20 years ago is still not resolved.

A Sussex County judge held a closed-door hearing Monday in Georgetown to consider the motion filed by Eric Bodenweiser's attorney. After about two hours, defense attorney Joe Hurley emerged to say a "significant legal issue" had been raised and that he had asked the judge for time to research it.

There was no word on when the closed-door hearing would resume.

The judge rejected a request by The Associated Press to reconsider his decision to close the courtroom, but Hurley said the judge outlined his reasons for closing the hearing Monday and said a transcript would be made available after the trial.

After winning a Republican primary last fall, Bodenweiser suspended his Senate campaign for Delaware's 19th District.

He was later charged with multiple counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and unlawful sexual contact involving acts allegedly committed between October 1987 and August 1990. He is out on $250,000 bail.

 

Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service