Kent Co. Begins Hunt for New Dog Control Solution - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Kent Co. Begins Hunt for New Dog Control Solution

Posted: Updated:
(Photo: WBOC) (Photo: WBOC)

DOVER, Del. (WBOC)- Kent County is now officially on the hunt for a new way to handle dog control after a Levy Court vote Tuesday night terminated the county's contract with Safe Haven Animal Sanctuary.

State law requires the county to have dog control. The way the contract between safe haven and Kent County works is Safe Haven will perform that function for the next two months. By then a new dog control arrangement has to be in place for Kent County.

The county considers this an emergency procurement, which means Administrator Mike Petit de Mange can skip the normal vendor bidding process.

"[We can] go right into seeking out a vendor that can step right in, continue the service, pick it up and run with it," he said.

Kent County SPCA is one of the potential options. Executive Director Kevin Usilton said his organization would be willing to do the job for the amount of money remaining on Safe Haven's original contract.

"They got $869,000. We would accept the remainder of that contract. That would essentially give us $100,000 additional," Usilton said. "Right now, if we got the contract, we'd have to buy vehicles, train employees and do other things to get ready to take that contract."

Petit de mange says staying close to the originally budgeted amount will be key as Kent County works through this.

"We're in discussions at the present time with an entity which we hope to arrive at a contract with within the next week or two."

And he says that would be enough time to ensure there is dog control in place when the contract with Safe Haven ends around the start of October.

As for the future of Safe Haven, board President Lois Fargo said the organization may have to go in a different direction, while maintaining its no-kill philosophy, to continue to operate.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:07 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:07:17 GMT
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office.More
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office. More
  • Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Thursday, April 24 2014 1:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 17:05:28 GMT
    BERLIN, Md. – The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant said a small fire started in the kitchen of the restaurant, which is located on Main Street.More
    The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant on Main Street in Berlin says a small fire started in the kitchen late Thursday morning.More
  • Fire Destroys Mid-Atlantic Family Practice in Lewes

    Fire Destroys Mid-Atlantic Family Practice in Lewes

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-04-25 03:34:48 GMT
    Fire broke out at the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice office on Route 24 in Lewes this afternoon. Heavy black smoke was seen billowing from the building.More
    Fire broke out at the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice office on Route 24 in Lewes this afternoon. Heavy black smoke was seen billowing from the building.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service