Home Confinement Ordered for Ex-Candidate in Del. - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Home Confinement Ordered for Ex-Candidate in Del.

Posted: Updated:
Eric Bodenweiser Eric Bodenweiser

GEORGETOWN, Del. (AP/WBOC)- A Sussex County judge on Friday ordered home confinement for former state Senate candidate Eric Bodenweiser, who is accused of repeatedly molesting a boy more than 20 years ago.
 
The home confinement order came after a bond review hearing initiated by probation and parole officials who said Bodenweiser, 54, of Georgetown, had violated the terms of his pretrial release.
 
Bodenweiser was released on $250,000 bond in October, subject to GPS monitoring and supervision by probation and parole officials. Authorities said he violated a bond provision prohibiting him from having any contact with anyone under the age of 18.
 
After winning an upset victory over an incumbent in a GOP primary last fall, the tea party-backed Bodenweiser suspended his campaign for the 19th District Senate seat, then dropped out of the race. He was indicted a few days later on multiple counts of unlawful sexual intercourse and unlawful sexual contact. Prosecutors allege that he committed the crimes between October 1987 and August 1990.
 
The alleged bond violation stemmed from a recent visit by Bodenweiser and his son-in-law to a local go-kart track, where Bodenweiser reportedly had incidental contact with a 17-year-old girl.
 
Attorneys provided few details about the incident at the hearing, but Sam Wilson Jr., a Republican county councilman who accompanied Bodenweiser to the hearing, said afterward that Bodenweiser had a coupon for ice cream and gave it to the girl.
 
"It probably wasn't the most prudent choice at the time," defense attorney Eric Mooney told Judge E. Scott Bradley.
 
Mooney said Bodenweiser, who is prohibited from having any contact with children, left his house with his son-in-law because his grandchildren were visiting.
 
"They wanted to kill some time," he said.
 
But Erik Forry, a probation and parole officer, said the go-kart track was "an inappropriate venue" for Bodenweiser to visit.
 
"That was not an appropriate place for someone with a condition like that to spend an afternoon," he said.
 
Deputy attorney general John Donahue said the incident suggested that Bodenweiser needs "a wake-up call."
 
But Mooney argued that such incidental contact with minors could happen almost anywhere outside the home, from a McDonald's restaurant to a Wal-Mart store.
 
The judge agreed, but he noted that the go-kart park is a family place where parents take their children, and that Bodenweiser was wrong to go there.
 
"It was a very foolish choice to make, and a very bad place to be," Bradley said.

  • Delmarvawide NewsDelmarvawide NewsMore>>

  • Two People Critically Injured in Sussex County Crash

    Two People Critically Injured in Sussex County Crash

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 11:24 PM EDT2014-04-23 03:24:31 GMT
    MILLSBORO, De - Delaware State Police say Bank Road in Millsboro is closed following a two-vehicle collision that occurred around 9 p.m. this evening. Police say two people were removed from the scene of the accident and are being treated for critical injuries. Troopers are still investigating this motor vehicle accident in Sussex County.More
    MILLSBORO, De - Delaware State Police say Bank Road in Millsboro is closed following a two-vehicle collision that occurred around 9 p.m. this evening. Police say two people were removed from the scene of the accident and are being treated for critical injuries. Troopers are still investigating this motor vehicle accident in Sussex County.More
  • Convicted Sex Offender Sentenced for Child Porn

    Convicted Sex Offender Sentenced for Child Porn

    A man who previously served four years in prison for possession of child pornography has been sentenced to 15 years on another child porn charge.More
    A man who previously served four years in prison for possession of child pornography has been sentenced to 15 years on another child porn charge.More
  • The food pantry will be at 205 S. Baltimore St. for a least one year.

    Shepherd's Crook Food Pantry Finds New Home

    Shepherd's Crook Food Pantry Finds New Home

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 9:38 PM EDT2014-04-23 01:38:04 GMT
    OCEAN CITY, Md.- After months of moving around, Shepherd’s Crook Food Pantry finally has a new home, and it will move to a new location next week.More
    OCEAN CITY, Md.- After months of moving around, Shepherd’s Crook Food Pantry finally has a new home, and it will move to a new location next week.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service