First Responders Rescue Teen From Burning Home - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

First Responders Rescue Teen From Burning Home

DELMAR, Del.- The quick actions of first responders to a fire earlier this week in Delmar saved the life of a teenage boy and several family pets.

Reports of someone trapped inside a burning building is not the first thing firefighters want to hear when they arrive on scene.

"Once I had gotten out of the command vehicle, I noticed that there were three young children," said Delmar Deputy Fire Chief Andrew Rementer. "I say children. They were teenagers, running across the road and they were hollering at me. 'There is somebody in there.  He's asleep, he's a heavy sleeper.'"

Rementer was the first to arrive at the fire on the corner of North Second and East Jewell streets in Delmar on Monday afternoon.  The teenagers had propped up a ladder against the home and the deputy chief, along with the help of Delmar police officer Bob Harris, climbed up and was able to help the trapped teen to safety.

"The effort of the children was wonderful. Like I had said before, it's almost as if God himself had put that extension ladder in the backyard," said Rementer.

Once the boy was out of the house, Harris sprung into action.

"I took an air conditioner from the window.  I went in, brought the cats out one at a time.  I went in, got the cats, there were four of them.  There was a cat and three kittens," said Harris.

Both Harris and Rementer said everything happened so fast during the rescue.  But Delmar Fire Chief Darrin Scott credits the speed to why everyone is OK.

"Had they not gotten him out, this was the scene five minutes into the call.  So, nobody could ever get out of that alive so, we are grateful for all of their efforts," Scott said.

"I am glad that everybody is OK, I am glad that the child is OK.  But I am just a modest person.  I mean I never was one for looking for something," said Rementer.

"Like I was doing my job.  Simply what it is.  It is what I get paid to do. Serve my community," said Harris.

The Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office, which investigated the blaze, determined it started on the second floor of the home and was caused by an electrical malfunction. Damages have been estimated at $75,000.

The home was not equipped with working smoke detectors, investigators said.

Three Men Convicted in Sharptown Shootout

07/27/2017 14:11:00 -04:002017-07-27 18:11:00 GMT
    Thursday, July 27 2017 2:42 PM EDT2017-07-27 18:42:10 GMT
     Bryan Blake, Jeffrey Whitten, Logan Littleon; Photo Credit: Wicomico County Sheriff's Office Bryan Blake, Jeffrey Whitten, Logan Littleon; Photo Credit: Wicomico County Sheriff's Office
    Three men have been convicted and sentenced in connection with a 2016 shootout in at Cherry Beach Park in Sharptown, Maryland.More
    Three men have been convicted and sentenced in connection with a 2016 shootout at Cherry Beach Park in Sharptown, Maryland.More

Intersection Changes Cause Relief and Concern

07/27/2017 23:49:00 -04:002017-07-28 03:49:00 GMT
    Thursday, July 27 2017 11:49 PM EDT2017-07-28 03:49:38 GMT
    GEORGETOWN, Del. - The addition of two stop signs to Springfield Road and Gravel Hill Road in Georgetown is a welcome change to many in the area...for the most part. A number of people say that more warning is needed for the stop signs, as drivers have bMore
  • Woman Wanted for Alleged Identity Theft

Woman Wanted for Alleged Fraud

Thursday, July 27 2017 4:52 PM EDT2017-07-27 20:52:10 GMT
    Thursday, July 27 2017 4:52 PM EDT2017-07-27 20:52:10 GMT
    This woman is wanted in connection to fraud.This woman is wanted in connection to fraud.
    Detectives from the Salisbury Police Department are working with the Kent County Sheriff's Office to try to identify a woman who is believed to be involved with identity theft.More