First Responders Rescue Teen From Burning Home - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

First Responders Rescue Teen From Burning Home

Posted: Updated:

DELMAR, Del.- The quick actions of first responders to a fire earlier this week in Delmar saved the life of a teenage boy and several family pets.

Reports of someone trapped inside a burning building is not the first thing firefighters want to hear when they arrive on scene.

"Once I had gotten out of the command vehicle, I noticed that there were three young children," said Delmar Deputy Fire Chief Andrew Rementer. "I say children. They were teenagers, running across the road and they were hollering at me. 'There is somebody in there.  He's asleep, he's a heavy sleeper.'"

Rementer was the first to arrive at the fire on the corner of North Second and East Jewell streets in Delmar on Monday afternoon.  The teenagers had propped up a ladder against the home and the deputy chief, along with the help of Delmar police officer Bob Harris, climbed up and was able to help the trapped teen to safety.

"The effort of the children was wonderful. Like I had said before, it's almost as if God himself had put that extension ladder in the backyard," said Rementer.

Once the boy was out of the house, Harris sprung into action.

"I took an air conditioner from the window.  I went in, brought the cats out one at a time.  I went in, got the cats, there were four of them.  There was a cat and three kittens," said Harris.

Both Harris and Rementer said everything happened so fast during the rescue.  But Delmar Fire Chief Darrin Scott credits the speed to why everyone is OK.

"Had they not gotten him out, this was the scene five minutes into the call.  So, nobody could ever get out of that alive so, we are grateful for all of their efforts," Scott said.

"I am glad that everybody is OK, I am glad that the child is OK.  But I am just a modest person.  I mean I never was one for looking for something," said Rementer.

"Like I was doing my job.  Simply what it is.  It is what I get paid to do. Serve my community," said Harris.

The Delaware State Fire Marshal's Office, which investigated the blaze, determined it started on the second floor of the home and was caused by an electrical malfunction. Damages have been estimated at $75,000.

The home was not equipped with working smoke detectors, investigators said.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 2 Men Charged With Soliciting Children for Sex

    2 Men Charged With Soliciting Children for Sex

    Thursday, July 24 2014 8:06 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:06:43 GMT
    The Attorney General's Office says two men have been arrested after they allegedly arranged to meet children for sex in separate incidents in Dover.More
    The Attorney General's Office says two men have been arrested after they allegedly arranged to meet children for sex in separate incidents in Dover.More
  • Cause of Tractor Trailer and Motorcycle Crash Revealed

    Cause of Tractor Trailer and Motorcycle Crash Revealed

    Thursday, July 24 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:20:39 GMT
    A motorcyclist is dead after being struck by a tractor trailer in Denton Tuesday afternoon.The victim's identity will be released upon confirmation from the state medical examiner's office.More
    A motorcyclist is dead after being struck by a tractor trailer in Denton Tuesday afternoon.The victim's identity will be released upon confirmation from the state medical examiner's office.More
  • Chikungunya Virus Continues Spreading Across Country

    Chikungunya Virus Continues Spreading Across Country

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 11:29 PM EDT2014-07-24 03:29:19 GMT
    A new mosquito-borne illness called Chikungunya is spreading across the nation, and is even popping up in the region, creating some concern from state agencies. As of Tuesday, the Center for Disease Control reported that there were 497 cases nationwide of the Chikungunya Virus, spanning across 35 states.More
    A new mosquito-borne illness called Chikungunya is spreading across the nation, and is even popping up in the region, creating some concern from state agencies. As of Tuesday, the Center for Disease Control reported that there were 497 cases nationwide of the Chikungunya Virus, spanning across 35 states.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service