Helicopter Drops $10,000 Over Harbor in Lewes - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Helicopter Drops $10,000 Over Harbor in Lewes

(Photo: WBOC) (Photo: WBOC)

LEWES, Del. - Some lucky people were at the Lewes Harbor Saturday evening when $10,000 dropped from the sky. It was dropped by a helicopter, following a person's final wish, as listed in his or her will. 

Lewes police said they were aware of the planned event and sent an officer to the area to make sure there was no fighting. At this point, the name of the deceased is not known, but whoever the mystery person is, his or her actions made a lot of people very happy in Lewes.

Kara Miele, who works at Irish Eyes, which is right at the marina, said that she was stunned to see the money fall to the ground.

Nobody really knew what was happening until it happened," she said. "And once the commotion of it all - like - You could see that they were yelling that it was money and then everyone knew it was money. And then the customers ran over and we ran over. Nobody was like fighting with each other for it but everyone was just scrambling trying to grab everything they could."

Miele was lucky enough to grab $170 during the mad rush. She said the event had the whole area restaurant searching for free cash outside.

"This is probably the most exciting things that has happened here I assume," she said. "It was just so fast - you know."

Irish Eyes' bartender John Siddons said that the cash was released above their parking lot, and that it then scattered all over the viscinity from the woods to the water, where people then tried to fetch the money.

"People were swimming through the canal," he said. "Boats coming in, scooping it up with nets. 50s, 20s, 10s, 5s - whatever they could get. It was pretty crazy."

Bill Swords said he wished he took photos of the event to capture this bizarre event.

"I wanted to get some pictures to show some people," he said. "Because nobody believes you when you tell them there was literally $10,000 dropped from the sky."

At the event, there was no fighting or arguing, but local boaters said that two people were sent to the hospital with minor injuries they got while trying to find the money.  

Some people were fortunate enough to leave with as much as $700.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices