Cambridge Man Pleads Guilty to Attempted Murder - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Cambridge Man Pleads Guilty to Attempted Murder of Federal Officer

Tayvon Dobson Tayvon Dobson

CAMBRIDGE, Md.- A 23-year-old Cambridge man has pleaded guilty to the 2012 attempted murder of a federal officer serving an arrest warrant on him.

According to Tayvon Dobson's plea agreement made Tuesday the U.S. District Court in Baltimore, on Feb. 29, 2012, members of the Maryland State Apprehension Team/Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force of the U.S. Marshals Service and the Cambridge Police Department arrived at a home divided into individual apartments on Hubbard Street in Cambridge to serve an arrest warrant for Dobson. The arrest warrant charged Dobson with first-degree assault and other related charges. 
Court records show a Task Force detective, who was also a deputy with the Wicomico County Sheriff's Office, along with a supervisory inspector, wore official tactical style police vests with bright yellow or white letters signifying "SHERIFF" or "Police US MARSHAL" across the back along with a Task Force or a "Police US Marshal" patch on the front. Authorities said that shortly after their entry into one of the apartments, Dobson's movements were heard across the hall in apartment #1. Officers shouted at Dobson to open the door. According to court documents, within minutes gunshots from apartment #1 were directed at law enforcement located outside the home at their unmarked police vehicles. Authorities said that after the detective, who was in apartment #2, realized that he could not safely escape that apartment through the hallway, he barricaded the bedroom door with a mattress and dresser.
Shots continued to ring out from apartment #1 as other officers yelled to Dobson to surrender, court records show. After several minutes of gunfire, the detective heard Dobson reload a firearm and Dobson began to shoot again, prosecutors said. The detective was able to see into the hallway and the front door of apartment #1. Authorities said that seconds later, the detective saw Dobson leave the apartment and stop in the hallway. Dobson saw the detective no more than 15 feet away and began to fire, court documents indicate. The detective fired back while still barricaded in the bedroom of apartment #2.  After several volleys of gunfire, the detective felt a sharp pain in his left shoulder, but authorities said he continued to fire at Dobson.

Court documents show that when Dobson left the hallway, the detective saw blood rapidly coming from his wound. The detective broke through the bedroom window and rolled out to the ground. Once on the ground he ran with other officers to safety. He was taken to a hospital where he underwent surgery.
Dobson continued to shoot at the remaining officers, court documents state.

Four hours after law enforcement first entered the building, Dobson finally surrendered. All of the rooms of Dobson's home were riddled with bullet holes, investigators determined.

Authorities said that following Dobson's arrest, three firearms were seized, two of which had been used to fire from inside the apartment, as well as a magazine, several rounds of live ammunition and numerous spent shell casings and projectiles.
Dobson and the government have agreed that if the court accepts the plea agreement, Dobson will be sentenced to between 24 and 30 years in prison. 

U.S. District Judge Catherine C. Blake scheduled Dobson's sentencing for Oct. 31, at 11 a.m.

Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service