Second Arrest Made in Angola Armed Robbery - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Second Arrest Made in Angola Armed Robbery

Ryan R. Wood Ryan R. Wood

LEWES, Del.- Delaware State Police have made a second arrest in the Tuesday night armed holdup of the Shore Stop convenience store in Angola.

Twenty one-year-old Ryan R. Wood of Frankford turned himself in to DSP Wednesday afternoon.

Troopers said that at around 8 p.m. Tuesday, Wood entered the Shore Stop, located at 20701 John J. Williams Highway west of Lewes. Police said Wood was wearing a mask and was armed with a knife.

Police said Wood confronted a 27-year-old female employee at the counter and demanded cash. Authorities said the victim gave Wood an unknown amount of cash before Wood ran out of the store and headed west on SR 24. An employee in the back office witnessed the crime take place and ran after him, police said.

Authorities said the victim then activated the silent alarm to notify 9-1-1.

Police said a black Honda Accord was spotted picking up Wood alongside the road westbound on SR 24. A trooper in the area heard about the holdup and saw the employee chasing after Wood. Troopers spotted the Honda at the intersection of Route 24 and Angola Road where a traffic stop was performed. Police said the driver of the getaway car, identified as 21-year-old Sammy Perakis of Lewes, ran out of the car but was taken into custody after a foot chase. 

Police said Wood ran out of the car and after an extensive search by DSP helicopter and K-9 units, was not located.

Perakis was taken back to Troop 4 in Georgetown where he was charged with first-degree robbery, second-degree assault on a law enforcement officer and second-degree conspiracy. He was arraigned and taken to the Sussex Correctional Institution where he was ordered held on $54,000 cash-only bail.

On Wednesday afternoon, Wood was arraigned on the charges of first-degree robbery, and second-degree conspiracy.  He was committed to Sussex Correctional Institution on $128,000.00 secured bond.

None of the employees at the Shore Stop were injured during the robbery, police said. The arresting trooper was taken to Beebe Medical Center for non-life-threatening injuries that occurred during the foot chase after Perakis. Police said the trooper was treated and released. Perakis was reportedly not injured.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices