Cambridge Man Gets 28 Years for Shooting Officer - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Cambridge Man Gets 28 Years for Shooting Officer

Posted: Updated:
Tayvon Dobson Tayvon Dobson

BALTIMORE– A Cambridge man will spend 28 years in prison for the attempted murder of a federal officer during a February 2012 shootout. 

On Thursday, 23-year-old Tayvon Dobson appeared in U.S. District Court in Baltimore where Judge Catherine C. Blake sentenced him to 28 years in prison, followed by five years of supervised release. Dobson's sentence comes two months after he pleaded guilty to attempted murder of a federal officer and using a gun during the attempted murder.

On Feb. 29, 2012, members of the Maryland State Apprehension Team/Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force of the U.S. Marshals Service and the Cambridge Police Department went to apartments on Hubbard Street in Cambridge to serve an arrest warrant. The arrest warrant charged Dobson with first-degree assault and related charges.

Federal officials said the officers shouted at Dobson to open the door when they heard movements inside one apartment. Within minutes, gunshots from that apartment were directed at officers outside the home by police cars.

Task Force detective Thomas Funk, who is also a deputy with the Wicomico County Sheriff's Office, barricaded the bedroom door with a mattress and dresser in a different apartment when he realized he could not safely escape through the hallway.

Federal officials said the shots continued from the apartment down the hall. Funk saw Dobson leave the apartment and stop in the hallway, investigators said. That is when officials said Dobson spotted Funk no more than 15 feet away and began to fire. Funk then fired back while still barricaded.

After gunfire exchange, Funk felt a sharp pain in his left shoulder.

Funk eventually broke through the apartment window, rolled out to the ground and ran to safety. He later underwent surgery for his shoulder injury.

Officials say Dobson continued to shoot at the remaining officers and surrendered four hours later.

Three firearms, several rounds of live ammunition and many spent shell casings and projectiles were later seized from the apartment.

WBOC spoke with Sheriff Mike Lewis, who says he is glad justice was served.

"He fired at multiple police officers that day.  My deputy happened to be the one that was struck.  But this was a gun battle, this was a gun fight that ocurred in the confines of a small home and it went out into the streets of Cambridge.  And this man should easily have gotten a life sentence." said Lewis.

Funk was able to return to work following the shootout.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices