MDE Investigates Illegal Dumping Allegations in Pocomoke City - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

MDE Investigates Illegal Dumping Allegations in Pocomoke City

Posted:

POCOMOKE CITY, Md.- After several complaints of illegal dumping near the Pocomoke River, the Maryland Department of the Environment is investigating the town of Pocomoke City.

Investigators found sewage sludge was sitting on an unauthorized site, according to MDE. The report goes on to state town employees were operating an open dumpsite, meaning large amounts of waste were piling up on an area not designed to handle the mess. Some locals worry the dumping would create a potential health risk.

"If you're dumping, it is going into ditches; it's going around homes; is going into wells," said Josh Holland, of Pocomoke City. "Its going into people's backyards and they don't even know it."

He and his family get their drinking water from a well, and with a baby on the way he worries about contaminated ground water.

"I know there's a good chance that it is not in the well water," said Holland. "But there's a small chance that it is."

We spoke with Pocomoke City manager Russell Blake, who said ground water has not been contaminated. He also says nothing has been dumped into the Pocomoke River and most of the material, that was brought into question, will be recycled.

MDE has ordered Pocomoke to stop dumping solid waste at the site, remove all existing waste to an approved location and to submit a cleanup plan to MDE by January 31st.

  • Delmarvawide NewsDelmarvawide NewsMore>>

  • Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Thursday, April 24 2014 1:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 17:05:28 GMT
    BERLIN, Md. – The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant said a small fire started in the kitchen of the restaurant, which is located on Main Street.More
    The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant on Main Street in Berlin says a small fire started in the kitchen late Thursday morning.More
  • Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:07 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:07:17 GMT
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office.More
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office. More
  • Suspects Arrested in Connection to Rehoboth Purse Snatching

    Suspects Arrested in Connection to Rehoboth Purse Snatching

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:05:23 GMT
    Delaware State Police have arrested two people in connection with a purse snatching at the Outlets in Rehoboth Beach.More
    Delaware State Police have arrested two people in connection with a purse snatching at the Outlets in Rehoboth Beach.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service