Company to Pay $2.8 Million in Medicare Fraud Case - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Company to Pay $2.8 Million in Medicare Fraud Case

Posted: Updated:

PHOENIX (AP)- A private ambulance company that provides services in Arizona and 20 other states has agreed to pay the federal government more than $2.8 million to resolve civil allegations that the business defrauded Medicare, authorities announced Thursday.
 
Over a four-year period from 2007 to 2011, companies owned by Rural/Metro Corporation in Arizona, New York, Oregon and Delaware billed Medicare for numerous emergency patient transportation trips when the calls were not emergencies, leading to substantially higher payments from Medicare for the services, according to the government.
 
"The need to protect federal funds, including the Medicare trust fund, from fraud, waste and abuse has never been greater," John Leonardo, U.S. Attorney for Arizona, said in a statement. "This settlement agreement is a substantial recovery for taxpayers and sends a clear message that the federal government will not stand idly by when its programs lose money due to false claims for payment."
 
Leonardo said the government chose to settle the civil case "to avoid the delay, uncertainty, inconvenience, and expense of protracted litigation."
 
Under the terms of the agreement, Rural/Metro does not admit wrongdoing, but remains subject to investigation by the Internal Revenue Service and any criminal liability that may arise through ongoing federal probes of the company.
 
In a statement, Rural/Metro said it had reached a "voluntary civil settlement agreement" that does not include "any admission of liability."
 
"The company agreed to settle the matter in order to avoid expensive and time-consuming litigation and to maintain focus on ensuring its patients continue to receive high quality emergency medical care," the statement read.
 
The company said the payment will have no effect on its ongoing restructuring efforts under a bankruptcy filing.

 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Delmar Man Gets 75 Years for Murder

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:07 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:07:17 GMT
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office.More
    A Delmar man convicted of second-degree murder in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred last year was sentenced to 75 years in prison Thursday, according to the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office. More
  • Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Fire at Berlin Main Street Restaurant

    Thursday, April 24 2014 1:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 17:05:28 GMT
    BERLIN, Md. – The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant said a small fire started in the kitchen of the restaurant, which is located on Main Street.More
    The manager of Siculi Rustic Italian Restaurant on Main Street in Berlin says a small fire started in the kitchen late Thursday morning.More
  • Fire Destroys Mid-Atlantic Family Practice in Lewes

    Fire Destroys Mid-Atlantic Family Practice in Lewes

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-04-25 03:34:48 GMT
    Fire broke out at the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice office on Route 24 in Lewes this afternoon. Heavy black smoke was seen billowing from the building.More
    Fire broke out at the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice office on Route 24 in Lewes this afternoon. Heavy black smoke was seen billowing from the building.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service