Movies at Midway Won't Host 2015 Rehoboth Beach Film Festival - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Movies at Midway Won't Host 2015 Rehoboth Beach Film Festival

Posted:
REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. - The Rehoboth Beach Film Society announced this week that the annual Rehoboth Beach Film Festival will no longer be held at the Movies at Midway starting 2015.
According to Midway, contract obligations bar it from renting out theaters. However, this year's festival, November 5-9, will be held in four of the theaters and the rest will be in Cape Henlopen High School's auditorium.
According to the film society's board president Darrel Grinstead, the decision was a shock, but they plan to have the festival no matter what.
"We made every effort to convince them that they should continue to support them but so far we have no success in that regard," Grinstead said. "There's worry, but we have every expectation that with all the various venues in this community we'll be able to put on a film festival in 2015 but we frankly haven't had enough time to make the plans for that."
Some society members are upset, like Rochelle Cohen.
"I can tell you it's very special for a lot of people," she explained. "Last year I rescheduled a hip replacement around the film festival."
Grinstead also said he wishes the film society had showed more appreciation for Midway in the past, and understands the contract change.
The film festival sold 19,000 tickets last year, for several thousand people, and is expected to grow every year. The movie-goers come from many different states, and bring business to Delaware's beaches.
Jessica Nathan, manager of restaurant Bethany Blues, said she is disappointed in the loss of the nearby event.
"We'll certainly see a drop off," she said. "Because they do films all day and all evening and we're open for lunch and dinner, it's a nice flow in and out for us."
Grinstead also said the film society is considering opening its own movie theater, but are still in the early planning stages.
  • Most Popular VideosMost Popular VideosMore>>

  • Wicomico County Sheriff's Facebook Post Questioned

    Wicomico County Sheriff's Facebook Post Questioned

    A now-deleted Facebook post from Wicomico County Sheriff Mike Lewis is causing controversy in the county. Lewis' post referred to protesters outside a Ravens Game on Sunday. The protesters were demonstrating next to a Maryland State Police trooper. In the post, Lewis referred to the protesters as "fist wielding, black power activists" who decried law enforcement officers' work.

    More

    A now-deleted Facebook post from Wicomico County Sheriff Mike Lewis is causing controversy in the county. Lewis' post referred to protesters outside a Ravens Game on Sunday. The protesters were demonstrating next to a Maryland State Police trooper. In the post, Lewis referred to the protesters as "fist wielding, black power activists" who decried law enforcement officers' work.

    More
  • 18 Inmates Charged in Deadly Del. Prison Uprising

    18 Inmates Charged in Deadly Del. Prison Uprising

    Sixteen inmates have been charged with first-degree murder in connection with a deadly uprising that occurred in early February at the James T. Vaughn Correctional Center in Smyrna. Two other inmates were also charged in connection with the incident on Feb. 1-2 that resulted in the murder of Lt. Steven Floyd, injuries to Correctional Officers Winslow Smith and Joshua Wilkinson, and the kidnapping of counselor Patricia May.

    More

    Sixteen inmates have been charged with first-degree murder in connection with a deadly uprising that occurred in early February at the James T. Vaughn Correctional Center in Smyrna. Two other inmates were also charged in connection with the incident on Feb. 1-2 that resulted in the murder of Lt. Steven Floyd, injuries to Correctional Officers Winslow Smith and Joshua Wilkinson, and the kidnapping of counselor Patricia May.

    More
  • Anti-Discrimination Draft Concerns Some in Sussex County

    Anti-Discrimination Draft Concerns Some in Sussex County

    Months after Governor Carney issued a memorandum asking the Department of Education to create a model anti-discrimination policy for the state, a draft is available for public comment.

    More

    Months after Governor Carney issued a memorandum asking the Department of Education to create a model anti-discrimination policy for the state, a draft is available for public comment.

    More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices