Questioning Continues in Bodenweiser Trial - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Questioning Continues in Bodenweiser Trial

Posted: Updated:
GEORGETOWN, Del. - Testimony continued Wednesday from a man who says he was molested as a boy by a former Delaware state Senate candidate. 

The defense attorneys for 37-year-old Eric Bodenweiser claim the facts keep changing with the accuser's testimony from one interview to the next. Bodenweiser is facing 14 counts of first degree "unlawful sexual intercourse," as well as 14 counts of second-degree "unlawful sexual contact," after a now 37-year-old man accused him of molestation in the late 1980s. 

The accuser made the initial allegation during Bodenweiser's 2012 run for state senate. In these allegations, he said he was raped by Bodenweiser five times from 1987 to 1989, when he was between the ages of 10 and 12, and Bodenweiser was in his 20s. 

For the last week, the jury has heard heart-wrenching testimony from the accuser, who gave a detailed and graphic description of his alleged abuse. On Wednesday, the accuser's third day of testimony, the defense said that holes were starting to form in his story. Bodenweiser's attorneys said an account of the molestation given on May 25th by the accuser was far different from the initial one on October of 2012. 

Joe Hurley, Bodenweiser's attorney, referenced notes from the May 25th interview, which he said indicated the accuser changed his account from the initial testimony in regards to what sex act took place on which day. Hurley said he only received this contradictory testimony on Monday morning when he came in to court. 

"This was totally unanticipated because he departed so mightily from his original statement in October that now I have to point out how night and day it is," Hurley said. "I have my whole cross examination set that I haven't even started yet."

When questioned about the inconsistencies, the alleged victim told the jury that since making the allegation, he's had time to talk with friends and family about the abuse. He said this has helped him recall some memories that he previously had lost. Nonetheless, he said he has been consistent with the type of sex acts that took place, saying that he "did not recall" the comments Hurley was referencing.

The state prosecutor's have not given a statement but have argued in court that the alleged victim is telling the truth, adding any inconsistencies are due to faulty memory. 

The accuser will take the stand once again Thursday morning for the fourth time this week. 
  • Most Popular VideosMost Popular VideosMore>>

  • Cruisin' OC Weekend Raises Concerns

    Cruisin' OC Weekend Raises Concerns

    Although this weekend brought in a lot of business for the 25th Annual Cruisin' Ocean City, there were many people left in town that had mixed emotions about the event.More
    Although this weekend brought in a lot of business for the 25th Annual Cruisin' Ocean City, there were many people left in town that had mixed emotions about the event.More
  • Residents Worry About Uptick in Violence on One Particular Street

    Residents Worry About Uptick in Violence on One Particular Street

    In Dover, in recent weeks, shootings have mostly been concentrated on the south side of New Street with a person, a home, and a car being hit by gunfire.

    More

    In Dover, in recent weeks, shootings have mostly been concentrated on the south side of New Street with a person, a home, and a car being hit by gunfire.

    More
  • Locals React to Cruisin' Ocean City

    Locals React to Cruisin' Ocean City

    Thousands of cars rumbled into Ocean City for Cruisin' OC but not everyone was thrilled about it.

    For 27 years unique cars have traveled from hundreds of miles away to drive up and down the streets of Ocean City.

    While this event might be a big attraction for people who aren't from Delmarva, not everyone gets revved up for the weekend.Locals said that over the past few years the noise and the smell has gotten to be a little too much.

    More

    Thousands of cars rumbled into Ocean City for Cruisin' OC but not everyone was thrilled about it.

    For 27 years unique cars have traveled from hundreds of miles away to drive up and down the streets of Ocean City.

    While this event might be a big attraction for people who aren't from Delmarva, not everyone gets revved up for the weekend.Locals said that over the past few years the noise and the smell has gotten to be a little too much.

    More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices