Delmar Teen Talks About Shark Bite - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Delmar Teen Talks About Shark Bite

Posted:
DELMAR, De. - 16-year-old Andrew Vance of Delmar unwrapped the bandages on his arm to show the damage done by a shark at Cape Henlopen State Park.  Puncture wounds can be found from his forearm to just below his thumb.

Fortunately for the teenager, the shark was not clamped down on his arm for too long.

"My first instinct was just punch it.  So, I punched it in his head and he didn't let go, so I stuck my thumb in to try and pull his mouth apart and he let go.  That's how I shredded up my right thumb."

And Andrews Vance added that the image of a shark biting his left arm is something he will never be able to erase from his mind.

"His head was grayish or brown and all I saw were his teeth.  I saw his teeth in my arm.  And I stuck my hand in there.  And then when he let go, when he swam away, the scariest part was I thought he was going to come back and bite me again.  So I was kicking my legs and screaming and splashing, trying to get him away," Vance said.

The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control shut down the beach to swimmers while the agency searched for sharks in the water on Tuesday, but nothing was found.  A marine biologist concluded the shark was most likely a juvenile three-foot sand bar shark that bumped into Vance before biting his arm.  DNREC said that bite should be considered an isolated incident, but Andrew was the focus of that incident, so getting back in the water may take some time.

"I'm sure, sooner or later, I will go back in the water, but not anytime soon.  Yeah, not any time soon," Vance said.

And really, who can blame him?

Cape Henlopen Board Votes to Remove Entire Summer Reading List

Friday, July 25 2014 9:33 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:33:15 GMT
    The Cape Henlopen School District Board on Thursday evening voted 6-1 to put a controversial novel back on a suggested summer reading list and then to eliminate the entire list itself.More

Missing Jellyfish in the Chesapeake Bay

Friday, July 25 2014 9:12 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:12:56 GMT
    Susan Meredith said if there is one thing she normally does for all the customers renting her boats at Blackwater Paddle and Pedal along the Choptank River in Cambridge, "We send them right up river.  They don't want to see any sea nettles, they are scared to death of them."More

Feds Send 117 Immigrant Children to Del.

Friday, July 25 2014 8:19 AM EDT2014-07-25 12:19:28 GMT
    Gov. Jack Markell says 117 children who immigrated alone to the United States have been placed with families in Delaware.More

Updated: Va. Gov. McAuliffe to Tour Tornado Damage

Friday, July 25 2014 8:04 AM EDT2014-07-25 12:04:23 GMT
    Flattened trees, flipped-over RVs, scattered tents, and awnings ripped from trailers - a scene of devastation awaited the visit of Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe the day after a tornado ripped through a campground on the Chesapeake Bay.More
    Flattened trees, flipped-over RVs, scattered tents, and awnings ripped from trailers - a scene of devastation awaited the visit of Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe the day after a deadly tornado ripped through a campground on the Chesapeake Bay.More

Del. Court Upholds Death Sentence in Rape-Murder

Friday, July 25 2014 8:12 AM EDT2014-07-25 12:12:22 GMT
    Delaware's highest court has upheld the conviction and death sentence for a man found guilty of raping and killing a University of Delaware student.More

Appointed Delaware Tech President Rejects Offer

Friday, July 25 2014 7:34 AM EDT2014-07-25 11:34:30 GMT
    Wor-Wic Community College President Dr. Ray Hoy announced Thursday he will not become the fifth president of Delaware Technical Community College.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service