First Batch of Music Lovers Showing up for Firefly - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

First Batch of Music Lovers Showing up for Firefly

Posted:
DOVER, Del. (WBOC) - The first batch of fans started to arrive Wednesday evening for the Firefly Music Festival.

As many as 15,000 people could be showing up in Dover for premier camping. And that's exactly the way festival organizers and state transportation officials want it.

Traffic was a nightmare last year as the festival started. The hope is to avoid that this time around by spacing out arrival times. Instead of basically everyone Friday morning, festivalgoers should show up a bit Wednesday, a bit more Thursday and then basically the rest Friday.

But the final hours of prep before the music starts involves a lot more than worrying about traffic backups. All over the 300 acres Firefly occupies in The Woodlands behind Dover International Speedway crews were getting things ready Wednesday.

"There's an army of people out here helping to put the finishing touches," said Greg Bostrom, festival director. "We feel great with where preparations are."

Bostrom expects up to 80,000 people to be here for the festival. That's an increase from last year and the year before. There are more acts - about 100 - and more stages - seven. And the main stage is way bigger.

"We had to get a bigger main stage field," said Bostrom. "We maxed out last year. We're standing in the middle of it. I can't wait for everyone to experience it."

Temps were hot Wednesday. The festival site has first aid and medical tents around. Things will cool down later in the week. Then, the bigger issue becomes possible thunderstorms.

"It's certainly something we've been preparing for year-round," Bostrom said. "Our safety plans are in place to handle whatever comes our way."

Bostrom says National Weather Service meteorologists will be on-site to help organizers decide what to ask fans to do if there is a storm.

"In some cases it will be safer for them to stay in the field if it's something that will brush by us, go by quickly. In some cases it'll be safer for them to go back to their campsites and cars for a little while."

He adds sometimes a little rain can make a festival even better.

There's still time for you to join in on the fun out behind this weekend. Tickets are available online and on-site. Single day passes are currently $109. Headliners include Foo Fighters, Outkast and Jack Johnson.
  • Delmarvawide NewsDelmarvawide NewsMore>>

  • NAACP Branch Seeks Removal of Delaware Confederate Monument

    NAACP Branch Seeks Removal of Delaware Confederate Monument

    08/17/2017 09:41:00 -04:002017-08-17 13:41:00 GMT
    Thursday, August 17 2017 11:22 AM EDT2017-08-17 15:22:12 GMT
    The Confederate monument on the grounds of the Georgetown Historical Society. (Photo: WBOC)The Confederate monument on the grounds of the Georgetown Historical Society. (Photo: WBOC)
    The Lowers Sussex County NAACP wants officials to cut off state funding for the Georgetown Historical Society to force the removal of a Confederate monument on its grounds.More
    The Lowers Sussex County NAACP wants officials to cut off state funding for the Georgetown Historical Society to force the removal of a Confederate monument on its grounds.More
  • Woman Files Federal Lawsuit Over Punkin Chunkin Accident

    Woman Files Federal Lawsuit Over Punkin Chunkin Accident

    08/17/2017 07:44:00 -04:002017-08-17 11:44:00 GMT
    Thursday, August 17 2017 10:13 AM EDT2017-08-17 14:13:34 GMT
    A woman who was critically injured when an air cannon exploded during last year's Punkin Chunkin event in Bridgeville, DE has filed a federal lawsuit against event organizers and participants, state officials and Discovery Communications.More
    A woman who was critically injured when an air cannon exploded during last year's Punkin Chunkin event in Bridgeville, Del. has filed a federal lawsuit against event organizers and participants, state officials and Discovery Communications.More
  • Kent County Judge Rejects Appeal From 4-time DUI Offender

    Kent County Judge Rejects Appeal From 4-time DUI Offender

    Thursday, August 17 2017 9:03 AM EDT2017-08-17 13:03:43 GMT
    Thursday, August 17 2017 9:03 AM EDT2017-08-17 13:03:43 GMT
    A Kent County, Delaware judge has refused to declare a mistrial or grant a new trial to a man recently convicted of his fourth drunken-driving offense.More
    A Kent County, Delaware judge has refused to declare a mistrial or grant a new trial to a man recently convicted of his fourth drunken-driving offense.More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices