Updated: Del. Trooper Wounded, Suspect Killed in Magnolia Shooti - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Updated: Del. Trooper Wounded, Suspect Killed in Magnolia Shooting

Posted: Updated:
The scene of Wednesday morning's trooper-involved shooting in Magnolia. The scene of Wednesday morning's trooper-involved shooting in Magnolia.
(Photo: WBOC) (Photo: WBOC)
MAGNOLIA, Del. (WBOC) - Delaware State Police continue to investigate Wednesday morning's trooper-involved shooting in Magnolia that left a 29-year-old man dead and a trooper wounded.
Police said the incident occurred shortly before 7 a.m. as a trooper on patrol spotted a Honda Accord traveling SR 1 northbound north of Milford. Investigators said the operator of the Honda was identified as 29-year-old Dennis Hicks, of Milford, who had active warrants in connection with a domestic strangulation incident that occurred at approximately 12:30 a.m. at a home located on the first block of Bayhill Road in Magnolia.
Police said that when the trooper tried to make a traffic stop, Hicks took off and fled northbound on SR 1 turning onto Mulberrie Point Road and then onto Clapham Road toward Magnolia. Investigators said the vehicle then came to a complete stop in the area of Bayhill Road and West Birdie Lane at which time Hicks got out of the Honda with a semiautomatic handgun and opened fire on the trooper. Police said the trooper got out of the patrol vehicle and returned fire, striking Hicks in the upper body.

Investigators said that during the exchange of gunfire, the trooper suffered gunshot wounds to his hand and face. He was transported by troopers to Bayhealth Kent General Hospital and later transferred by DSP Aviation Helicopter to the Christiana Hospital Trauma Center where he was admitted in serious but stable condition.

The trooper involved in this incident was identified as 26-year-old Cpl. Lloyd M. McCann, a 4-year veteran of DSP assigned to Troop 3 in Camden. He has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

Col. Nathaniel McQueen, superintendent of the state police, spoke with McCann at the hospital.

"Our trooper is doing fine. That's our first priority - him and his family. He's doing well," McQueen said. "You never know when a bad day is coming or when an incident is going to occur. You hope their training kicks in. That seems to be what happened in this case. The trooper responded to an incident and is able to go home at the end of the day."

Hicks was transported to the Bayhealth Kent General Hospital where he was pronounced dead just before 9:00 a.m.
The semiautomatic handgun was recovered at the scene and a preliminary investigation determined that it was reported stolen from a residential burglary in Smyrna in June of last year, police said.

Detectives from the DSP Homicide Unit responded to the scene and are conducting the investigation into the incident.

Nina Charles lives nearby where the shooting happened.

"By the time I walked down here, they were putting him in the ambulance," she said. "The cops were in the cars. I heard some guy jumped out and started shooting. I thought - It's a good thing I didn't get up this morning. I always do my power walk. Knowing me, I could have been right in the mix."

Residents living in the area near the scene of where a state trooper was shot and a Magnolia man was killed were surprised to see what had happened in their neighborhood.

Kenny Gordon of Magnolia says he woke up to chaos. A neighborhood he says is typically quiet had become a crime scene Wednesday morning.

“I was woken by my little brother,” said Gordon. “He said he heard a few gunshots in the house.”

Two bullets pierced his home. One of the bullets hit the siding of the home. That bullet didn’t make it into Gordon’s home. The other one did.

“That’s probably the worst part of the morning,” said Gordon. “Somebody could have been killed in our house too as well.”

Gordon says he and his family moved to the area from Philadelphia six years ago. He was surprised to see something like this happen in Magnolia.

“We kind of moved out of the city for this to get away from stuff like this.”

Despite crime tape all over and blood on the ground just feet away from his home, Gordon remains hopeful something like this won’t happen here again.

“Hopefully this was an isolated incident and we don’t have to worry about any more of that out here.”
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices