First Heat Deaths Reported in Maryland in 2014 - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

First Heat Deaths Reported in Maryland in 2014

Posted: Updated:

BALTIMORE, Md. (/WBOC/AP)- Health officials say Maryland has seen its first heat-related deaths in 2014.

The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene said in a news release on Wednesday that two heat-related deaths had occurred between June 17 and June 23.

The department said both people were over 65 and had underlying medical conditions. One was a Harford County woman; the second was a Baltimore County man.

Last year, there were 17 confirmed heat-related deaths from May through September in the state. In 2012, there were 46 confirmed heat-related deaths during that time period, with 34 in 2011 and 32 in 2010.

For weekly reports that provide guidance and information about heat-related deaths and illness, click here.

  • Delmarvawide NewsDelmarvawide NewsMore>>

  • Gov. O'Malley Says Don't Turn Away Immigrant Kids

    Gov. O'Malley Says Don't Turn Away Immigrant Kids

    Sunday, July 27 2014 6:27 AM EDT2014-07-27 10:27:14 GMT
    Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley told Nebraska Democrats that the United States shouldn't be turning away children from Central America.More
    Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley told Nebraska Democrats that the United States shouldn't be turning away children from Central America.More
  • Korean War Vets Honored With Memorial

    Korean War Vets Honored With Memorial

    Sunday, July 27 2014 6:58 PM EDT2014-07-27 22:58:40 GMT
    Sunday marks the 61st anniversary of the end of the Korean War. A memorial in honor of the Korean War Veterans was revealed Sunday in the Veterans Memorial Park in Dover.More
    Sunday marks the 61st anniversary of the end of the Korean War. A memorial in honor of the Korean War Veterans was revealed Sunday in the Veterans Memorial Park in Dover.More
  • Harper Sentenced in Sussex Kidnapping Case

    Harper Sentenced in Sussex Kidnapping Case

    Sunday, July 27 2014 1:47 PM EDT2014-07-27 17:47:57 GMT
    A teen convicted of participating in the kidnapping and carjacking of an 89-year-old woman in Sussex County was sentenced Friday in Delaware Superior Court.More
    A teen convicted of participating in the kidnapping and carjacking of an 89-year-old woman in Sussex County was sentenced Friday in Delaware Superior Court.More
Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service