Rabid Bat Found in Pocomoke - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Rabid Bat Found in Pocomoke

Posted: Updated:
POCOMOKE CITY, Md.– The Worcester County Health Department confirmed Monday that a bat found in the vicinity of Third Street in Pocomoke City has tested positive for rabies.

Anyone who has had contact with a bat in the Third Street area is asked to call the health department at (410) 632-1100, ext. 220.

Officials said that if any bat is found on the ground, do not touch it. Make sure pets and people (particularly children) are kept away from the bat. If it can be safely covered (bucket, box), do so and contact law enforcement or animal control so that the bat can safely be removed.

Rabies is a serious disease that is spread through the saliva of the infected animal, as well as from bites and scratches. Officials said when a person is bitten by or exposed to the saliva of a rabid animal, the disease can be prevented with appropriate medical treatment.

If there is a bat in the living area of your home, authorities request that you close the bat in the room and contact the Worcester County Environmental Health program at (410) 352-3234, your local police department or 911 to report the bat so that the bat can be collected and arrangements made for rabies testing. Do not touch the bat or let it loose in the environment.

Bats have small teeth which may leave marks which are not easily seen. Although many people know if they have been bitten by a bat, officials said there are certain circumstances when a person might not be aware or unable to tell you that they have been bitten. These circumstances include:
  • If a sleeping person awakes to find a bat in the room
  • If a bat is found in a room with an unattended child
  • If a bat is found near a person with disabilities
  • If a bat is found near a person who is intoxicated
Bats will sometimes occupy attics and other unoccupied areas of a home. If you find bats in areas such as these, you can contact the Nuisance Wildlife Hotline at 1-877-463-6497 for general information on safe exclusion of bats.

For more information about rabies, visit http://worcesterhealth.org.






  • Delmarvawide NewsDelmarvawide NewsMore>>

  • NASA Official Pleads Guilty to Accepting Kickbacks, Theft

    NASA Official Pleads Guilty to Accepting Kickbacks, Theft

    Wednesday, December 12 2018 9:48 AM EST2018-12-12 14:48:53 GMT
    Wednesday, December 12 2018 11:54 AM EST2018-12-12 16:54:34 GMT
    (Photo: WBOC)(Photo: WBOC)
    (Photo: WBOC)(Photo: WBOC)
    A NASA official who oversaw a nearly $200 million contract at the space agency's Wallops Flight Facility on the Eastern Shore of Virginia has pleaded guilty to receiving kickbacks and stealing government funds.More
    A NASA official who oversaw a nearly $200 million contract at the space agency's Wallops Flight Facility on the Eastern Shore of Virginia has pleaded guilty to receiving kickbacks and stealing government funds.           More
  • Storage Room Fire Damages Dart Plant in Federalsburg

    Storage Room Fire Damages Dart Plant in Federalsburg

    Wednesday, December 12 2018 10:46 AM EST2018-12-12 15:46:26 GMT
    Wednesday, December 12 2018 11:54 AM EST2018-12-12 16:54:04 GMT
    A fire in a storage room damaged a Caroline County industrial building on Tuesday night.More
    A fire in a storage room damaged a Caroline County industrial building on Tuesday night.More
  • University of Maryland to Clean Dorms to Combat Adenovirus

    University of Maryland to Clean Dorms to Combat Adenovirus

    Wednesday, December 12 2018 8:28 AM EST2018-12-12 13:28:15 GMT
    Wednesday, December 12 2018 8:28 AM EST2018-12-12 13:28:15 GMT
    (Photo: MGN Online)(Photo: MGN Online)
    (Photo: MGN Online)(Photo: MGN Online)
    The University of Maryland, College Park, says its dorms will be thoroughly disinfected to fight an adenovirus outbreak that has killed one student and sickened at least 30 people.More
    The University of Maryland, College Park, says its dorms will be thoroughly disinfected to fight an adenovirus outbreak that has killed one student and sickened at least 30 people.More
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Salisbury House Fire Started By Candle

    Salisbury House Fire Started By Candle

    Tuesday, December 11 2018 6:59 PM EST2018-12-11 23:59:31 GMT
    Wednesday, December 12 2018 8:01 AM EST2018-12-12 13:01:13 GMT
    The Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal says an unattended candle caused a Tuesday morning house fire in Salisbury.More
    The Office of the Maryland State Fire Marshal says an unattended candle caused a Tuesday morning house fire in Salisbury.More
  • Seaford Police Issue Scam Alert

    Seaford Police Issue Scam Alert

    Tuesday, December 11 2018 10:26 AM EST2018-12-11 15:26:30 GMT
    Tuesday, December 11 2018 10:26 AM EST2018-12-11 15:26:30 GMT
    (Photo: MGN Online)(Photo: MGN Online)
    (Photo: MGN Online)(Photo: MGN Online)
    Seaford police are warning residents of a new phone scam involving City Hall.More
    Seaford police are warning residents of a new phone scam involving City Hall.More
  • Rent or Own? Workforce Housing Debate Continues In Lewes

    Rent or Own? Workforce Housing Debate Continues In Lewes

    Tuesday, December 11 2018 10:21 PM EST2018-12-12 03:21:28 GMT
    Wednesday, December 12 2018 8:02 AM EST2018-12-12 13:02:23 GMT
    The city of Lewes wants to incorporate more affordable housing for young professionals like nurses and teachers within its limits.More
    The city of Lewes, Delaware, wants to incorporate more affordable housing for young professionals like nurses and teachers within its limits.More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices