Fatal Md. Fire Ruled Accidental - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Fatal Md. Fire Ruled Accidental

Updated:
ROCK HALL, Md.- An electrical failure in an air conditioner power cord sparked last week's blaze that killed an 85-year-old woman in Rock Hall, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said Monday.

Investigators said Hester Louise Wright was sleeping on the couch in her living room around 4 a.m. July 14 before discovering the fire and notifying her daughter who was in a second floor bedroom. The daughter tried to lead her mother outside to safety, but authorities said the eldest Wright was unable to make it out alive.

The house was heavily damaged during the fire, causing the second floor to collapse over the victim, according to investigators.

A preliminary report from the Office of the State Medical Examiner showed Wright succumbed to smoke inhalation and thermal burn injuries. Her daughter was treated for for minor burns to her shoulder before being released from the University of Maryland Shore Medical Center at Chestertown.

Nearly 50 firefighters from the Rock Hall, Galena, and Chestertown volunteer fire companies responded and eventually brought the fire under control.

No working smoke alarms were found inside the house, investigators said.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices