Afternoon Fire in Wyoming, Del. Ruled Accidental - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Afternoon Fire in Wyoming, Del. Ruled Accidental

Posted:
Photo: Newswatcher Jayle Whitaker Photo: Newswatcher Jayle Whitaker
 WYOMING, Del. - A fire that heavily damaged a Wyoming, Delaware home Saturday afternoon has been ruled accidental by fire investigators with the Delaware State Fire Marshal's office, according to authorities. The State Fire Marshal's Office say the fire caused an estimated $75,000 in damages.
 
Fire officials say the Camden-Wyoming Fire Company responded to the home just before 2:00 p.m. Saturday in the unit block of Front Street. Firefighters say they encountered thick black smoke coming from a room on the first floor of the two-story home.

Deputy fire marshals say the fire started inside a first floor bedroom. They say electrical extension cords failed and ignited materials inside the bedroom. They say three people and several dogs were able to escape, but one person suffered second degree burns to his hand. Fire officials say he was transported to Bayhealth Kent General Hospital in Dover, Delaware and was expected to be released Saturday evening.

Fire officials say there were no operating smoke alarms inside the house.

The American Red Cross was called to provide emergency assistance to the family.

Powered by WorldNow

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service