Video Appears to Show Ray Rice Striking Fiancee - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Video Appears to Show Ray Rice Striking Fiancee

(Photo: AP) (Photo: AP)

BALTIMORE (AP)- The NFL says the league never saw until Monday a video that appears to show Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice striking his then-fiancee in February.

The grainy video, released by TMZ Sports, apparently shows Rice and Janay Palmer in an elevator at an Atlantic City casino. Each hits the other before Rice knocks Palmer off her feet and into a railing.

An earlier TMZ video showed Rice dragging Palmer, now his wife, from the elevator at the Revel casino, which closed Sept. 2.

The NFL suspended Rice for two games in July for domestic violence.

"We requested from law enforcement any and all information about the incident, including the video from inside the elevator," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. "That video was not made available to us and no one in our office has seen it until today."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell indicated as much on Aug. 1 when during the Pro Football Hall of Fame induction weekend.

"When we're going through the process of evaluating the issue and whether there will be discipline, you look at all of the facts that you have available to us," Goodell said. "Law enforcement normally has more ... information, facts, than we have. We'll get as much as we possibly can."

The Ravens, like the NFL, said they had not seen the video until Monday. Senior vice president Kevin Byrne said the team had no comment.

Rice's lawyer, Michael Diamondstein, would not comment to The Associated Press.

The 27-year-old Rice was charged with felony aggravated assault in the case, but in May he was accepted into a pretrial intervention program that allowed him to avoid jail time and could lead to the charge being purged from his record.

Goodell drew criticism not being tough enough on Rice. In a letter to all 32 NFL owners in August, he wrote, "My disciplinary decision led the public to question our sincerity, our commitment, and whether we understood the toll that domestic violence inflicts on so many families. I take responsibility both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values."

"I didn't get it right," he added. "Simply put, we have to do better. And we will."

First-time offenders now face a six-game suspension.

Rice began his suspension Sunday, when the Ravens opened their season with a 23-16 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. He will also miss Thursday night's game against Pittsburgh. According to the terms of his suspension, Rice can't be with the team and must work out alone.

Rice hasn't spoken often to the media since his arrest, but on July 31 called his actions "inexcusable" and said this is "something I have to live with the rest of my life."

He added: "I know that's not who I am as a man. That's not who my mom raised me to be. If anybody knows me, they know I was raised by a single parent, and that was my mother. I let her down, I let my wife down, I let my daughter down. I let my wife's parents down. I let the whole Baltimore community down. I let my teammates down. I let so many people down because of 30 seconds of my life that I know I can't take back."

'Ghost Pots' Hurting Chesapeake Bay's Blue Crab Population

Wednesday, May 24 2017 10:28 AM EDT2017-05-24 14:28:22 GMT
    Wednesday, May 24 2017 6:39 PM EDT2017-05-24 22:39:06 GMT

Crabbing season is well underway, and that means hundreds of thousands of crab pots are in the Chesapeake Bay catching blue crabs. However, many of those pots can quickly become "ghost" pots, sinking to the bottom of the bay and taking millions of crabs with them. These ghost pots have been a problem in the bay for decades, diminishing the crab population, and potentially costing watermen millions of dollars.

Crabbing season is well underway, and that means hundreds of thousands of crab pots are in the Chesapeake Bay catching blue crabs. However, many of those pots can quickly become "ghost" pots, sinking to the bottom of the bay and taking millions of crabs with them. Those ghost pots have been a problem in the bay for decades, diminishing the crab population, and potentially costing watermen millions of dollars.

Laurel Police Looking for a Shoplifting Suspect

Wednesday, May 24 2017 9:11 PM EDT2017-05-25 01:11:59 GMT
    Wednesday, May 24 2017 9:11 PM EDT2017-05-25 01:11:59 GMT

The Laurel Police Department is currently investigating a shoplifting incident at a Royal Farms.

Double Shooting in Dover, Victims "Minimally Cooperative"

Wednesday, May 24 2017 9:02 PM EDT2017-05-25 01:02:53 GMT
    Wednesday, May 24 2017 9:02 PM EDT2017-05-25 01:02:53 GMT
    DOVER, Del. -- Two people on Wednesday were shot in Dover while a rap video was being filmed, police said. It happened about 2:09 p.m. on the 400 block of Water Street in the Capital Green community, according to M/Cpl. Mark Hoffman. One of the men who was shot fled into the nearby Thomas Collins Building, a state office building, Hoffman said. One 28-year-old man, who refused medical treatment for a gunshot wound to his hand, told investigators he was outside filming a r...More
  • Most Popular VideosMost Popular VideosMore>>

Price Comparison: Where to Buy Crabs Over Memorial Day Weekend

For many people on Delmarva, a favorite way to spend the Memorial Day holiday weekend is by enjoying blue crabs. If you're planning on buying crabs for carryout - either live or steamed - prices vary widely depending on location. Check out the price list for an idea about how much it will cost you to buy crabs from some local places in the area. Unless otherwise noted, prices listed are for #1 (large) males.

Historic Seaford Diner Torn Down

One of the last remaining 1950's diner cars on Delmarva is now nothing but rubble.

The Seaford Eagle Diner was ripped down Tuesday morning so the owners can re-build a new restaurant on site. Owner Serkan Darilmaz says the diner was in such bad shape that renovating it would've come at an astronomical cost.

Woodbridge High Student Organizes "Hometown Heroes" Campaign

Woodbridge High School senior Jacob Johnson, inspired by his senior project, is behind a banner campaign to honor veterans from Bridgeville.