Union Appeals Rice's Indefinite Suspension by NFL - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Union Appeals Rice's Indefinite Suspension by NFL

Posted:
BALTIMORE, Md. (AP) - The NFL players' union appealed Ray Rice's indefinite suspension Tuesday night.
   
Rice was originally handed a two-game suspension in July under the NFL's personal conduct policy after he was charged with assault following a Feb. 15 altercation with his then-fiancee in a casino elevator.
   
The Baltimore running back had already served the first game of that suspension when, on Sept. 8, a video surfaced showing Rice punching Janay Palmer, now his wife, in that elevator.
   
Within hours, the Ravens released Rice and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell extended the suspension to indefinite based on the "new evidence."
   
Goodell and the Ravens say they never saw the video before Sept. 8.
   
"This action taken by our union is to protect the due process rights of all NFL players," the NFL Players Association said in a statement. "The NFLPA appeal is based on supporting facts that reveal a lack of a fair and impartial process, including the role of the office of the commissioner of the NFL. We have asked that a neutral and jointly selected arbitrator hear this case as the commissioner and his staff will be essential witnesses in the proceeding and thus cannot serve as impartial arbitrators."
   
The NFLPA said that the collective bargaining agreement requires a hearing date be set within 10 days of the appeal notice. It also said the hearing will require a neutral arbitrator to determine what information was available to the NFL and when it was available.
   
The union, which had until 11:59 p.m. Tuesday to file the appeal, added that under governing labor law, an employee can't be punished twice for the same action when all of the relevant facts were available to the employer at the time of the first punishment.
   
Rice can apply for reinstatement when he convinces Goodell that he is "addressing this issue." Rice has been accepted into a diversion program, which upon completion could lead to the assault charge being dropped.
   
The NFL has come under heavy scrutiny for its handling of the Rice situation - and other domestic violence cases - as the league tries to attract female fans to the game. It is an effort that has been scarred by the original two-game suspension, a punishment many women's organizations deemed too light.
   
Goodell, in a letter sent to all 32 NFL owners in August, acknowledged that he "didn't get it right."
   
He then announced a new policy, stating that first-time domestic violence offenders would face a six-game suspension, and repeat offenders would be suspended indefinitely.
   
The policy didn't apply to Rice, who had already received his penalty.
   
There is apparently no precedent for the indefinite suspension Rice received after the video surfaced.
   
With all questions about who knew what and when - The Associated Press has reported the video was sent to NFL offices in April - the league has hired former FBI director Robert Mueller to look into how the NFL sought and handled evidence in the domestic violence case.
   
Soon after receiving the original suspension, Rice called his actions in the elevator "inexcusable" and apologized publicly to Janay, his mother, his teammates and the Ravens organization.
   
He also addressed the length of the suspension, which came with a fine of three paychecks totaling more than $500,000.
   
"I never planned to appeal any kind of punishment," Rice said on July 31. "So whether it was two games, four games, six games, eight games, I was going to own my actions and be a man about it and take whatever was given to me."
   
At that time, he spoke about the damage his reputation received.
   
"In some people's eyes, Ray can do no wrong. That's something I take pride in," he said. "I know a lot of people out there have lost respect, maybe not like me anymore. But that's my fault. I have to own that. That's my battle each day."
   
It is a battle he has waged recently out of the public eye. Although he attended a football game at his former high school with his wife last weekend, he has not spoken to the media since his release from the Ravens.
   
 

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Somerset County Teacher Faces Child Abuse Charges

    Somerset County Teacher Faces Child Abuse Charges

    Friday, October 19 2018 5:18 PM EDT2018-10-19 21:18:24 GMT
    Friday, October 19 2018 5:18 PM EDT2018-10-19 21:18:24 GMT
    People in one Somerset County community are shocked after finding out one of their Elementary teachers is charged with allowing a man to sexually assault her 10 year old relative.More
    People in one Somerset County community are shocked after finding out one of their Elementary teachers is charged with allowing a man to sexually assault her 10 year old relative. More
  • DPH Advises Delaware Residents of Multi-State Listeria Outbreak

    DPH Advises Delaware Residents of Multi-State Listeria Outbreak

    Friday, October 19 2018 3:34 PM EDT2018-10-19 19:34:18 GMT
    Friday, October 19 2018 3:43 PM EDT2018-10-19 19:43:55 GMT
    Credit: Division of Public HealthCredit: Division of Public Health
    Credit: Division of Public HealthCredit: Division of Public Health
    The Delaware Division of Public Health is advising Delawareans of the multi-state Listeria outbreak that has been linked to deli ham.More
    The Delaware Division of Public Health is advising Delawareans of the multi-state Listeria outbreak that has been linked to deli ham.More
  • Magnolia Man Charged with Unlawful Sexual Contact

    Magnolia Man Charged with Unlawful Sexual Contact

    Thursday, October 18 2018 6:04 PM EDT2018-10-18 22:04:17 GMT
    Thursday, October 18 2018 6:04 PM EDT2018-10-18 22:04:17 GMT
    Credit: WBOCCredit: WBOC
    Credit: WBOCCredit: WBOC
    Delaware State Police have arrested a man from Magnolia, Delaware after he inappropriately touched two young girls back on Oct. 12 at a high school football game.More
    Delaware State Police have arrested a man from Magnolia, Delaware after he inappropriately touched two young girls back on Oct. 12 at a high school football game. More
  • Most Popular VideosMost Popular VideosMore>>

  • U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Examines Scour Hole in Ocean City

    U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Examines Scour Hole in Ocean City

    The US Army Corps of Engineers is collecting data for a deep- rooted problem in Worcester County. 
    A hole has formed in the vicinity of Ocean City's inlet and it's now 50 feet deep.
    Officials say it's causing shoreline erosion and it could eventually destroy a nearby community. 
    More
    The US Army Corps of Engineers is collecting data for a deep- rooted problem in Worcester County. 
    A hole has formed in the vicinity of Ocean City's inlet and it's now 50 feet deep.
    Officials say it's causing shoreline erosion and it could eventually destroy a nearby community. 
    More
  • New Boardwalk In Slaughter Beach

    New Boardwalk In Slaughter Beach

    With shovels in their hands, state officials gathered in Slaughter Beach today for the groundbreaking of the Marvel Saltmarsh Preserve Boardwalk project.

    Many in the area say they're excited about the boardwalk, as it will allow them a closer view of plants and animals in the saltmarsh.

    Currently, there are only wooden pallets on the marsh that allow people to only go a few feet into its entry. 

    More

    With shovels in their hands, state officials gathered in Slaughter Beach today for the groundbreaking of the Marvel Saltmarsh Preserve Boardwalk project.

    Many in the area say they're excited about the boardwalk, as it will allow them a closer view of plants and animals in the saltmarsh.

    Currently, there are only wooden pallets on the marsh that allow people to only go a few feet into its entry. 

    More
  • "Hood Fight Salisbury" Cell Phone Videos

    "Hood Fight Salisbury" Cell Phone Videos

    27 cell phone videos depicting brutal streets fights among teenagers in Salisbury were posted online. Local leaders including the Mayor, State's Attorney and a Reverend react to the media.More
    27 cell phone videos depicting brutal streets fights among teenagers in Salisbury were posted online. Local leaders including the Mayor, State's Attorney and a Reverend react to the media.More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices