Town Commissioner Speaks Out about Assault Charges - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Town Commissioner Speaks Out about Assault Charges

Posted:

PRINCESS ANNE, Md. – Town Commissioner Lionel Frederick is speaking out about assault charges filed against him last week.

Commissioner Frederick was charged with one count of first-degree assault and two counts of second-degree assault after being accused of spraying 24-year-old Marquis Cotton with mace and then striking Cotton with his minivan in his front yard, according to court documents.

According to a Maryland State Police report, Frederick got into an argument with his girlfriend the day before the alleged assault happened. When a man named Dubey intervened, a separate argument ensued on Sept. 20, according to the report. As Frederick drove off, rocks were thrown at his vehicle and he allegedly thought it was Cotton who threw the rocks, according to the report.

The police report said Frederick drove onto Cotton's front yard the following day and maced him before striking him with his minivan.

 Frederick spoke exclusively with WBOC. He said he is innocent. He tells WBOC that his home and car wash business were burglarized the night before the alleged assault happened. He said suspects broke into his home through a side window after a failed attempt through the front door, which is damaged.

At his business, a broken padlock can be seen, and Frederick said a generator, power washer and shampoo machine were stolen.

WBOC reached out to Cotton , who told his side of the story last week. He has no further comment on the case.

 Frederick said the reported events that led to his arrest are false.  He issued the statement below about the assault allegations.

The statements which have been made to the media recently by a certain individual contain falsehoods regarding the events which led to my arrest. The person making those statements was not an innocent bystander, but in fact was the aggressor, and I was forced to defend myself when attacked in my vehicle. I have requested an investigation into this individual's assault on my person, as well as an investigation into a burglary and robbery of my home and business.  I have faith that once the full story is revealed in court, the truth will unfold and I will be exonerated and charges will be filed against certain individuals.  I have nothing further to say in the matter and wish to leave the fact finding within the judicial system. May God Bless the United States of America.” - Lionel Frederick

The Town Commission has no comment about Frederick's assault charges.

Frederick will appear in U.S. District Court for a preliminary hearing Oct. 17.






  • Delmarvawide NewsDelmarvawide NewsMore>>

  • Traffic Stop Leads to Finding of 228 Grams of Marijuana

    Traffic Stop Leads to Finding of 228 Grams of Marijuana

    Saturday, July 22 2017 6:05 PM EDT2017-07-22 22:05:05 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 6:05 PM EDT2017-07-22 22:05:05 GMT
    228 grams of marijuana was found in Keevon Bishop's car, police said.228 grams of marijuana was found in Keevon Bishop's car, police said.
    A traffic stop in Somerset County led to a drug bust, according to Maryland State Police.More
    A traffic stop in Somerset County led to a drug bust, according to Maryland State Police.More
  • Delaware State Fair Kicks Off Under Hot Temperatures

    Delaware State Fair Kicks Off Under Hot Temperatures

    Saturday, July 22 2017 11:07 AM EDT2017-07-22 15:07:23 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 11:07 AM EDT2017-07-22 15:07:23 GMT
    HARRINGTON, Del. -- The Delaware State Fair kicked off on Thursday at the fairgrounds near Harrington as brutal temperatures and sunlight bared down on early visitors in the afternoon and early evening.The fair runs through July 29. It features a numberMore
    HARRINGTON, Del. -- The Delaware State Fair kicked off on Thursday at the fairgrounds near Harrington as brutal temperatures and sunlight bared down on early visitors in the afternoon and early evening.The fair runs through July 29. It features a numberMore
  • Main St. Plaza to Receive Drastic Makeover

    Main St. Plaza to Receive Drastic Makeover

    07/22/2017 08:18:00 -04:002017-07-22 12:18:00 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:18 AM EDT2017-07-22 12:18:30 GMT
    The Main St. Plaza is set to receive a drastic new look in October of 2018. The Plaza will be converted into a regular street with two sidewalks and asphalt down the middle.More
    The Main St. Plaza is set to receive a drastic new look in October of 2018. The Plaza will be converted into a regular street with two sidewalks and asphalt down the middle.More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices