DSU Students React to Notification of Shooting - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

DSU Students React to Notification of Shooting

Monday afternoon's shooting happened at this Delaware State University residence hall. (Photo: WBOC) Monday afternoon's shooting happened at this Delaware State University residence hall. (Photo: WBOC)

DOVER, Del.- Students are still shaken following a shooting that happened Monday at a Delaware State University residence hall. Police said a lockdown was put in place shortly after the shooting was reported. But some students are saying they did not receive news fast enough.

According to police, the shooting happened around 4:40 p.m. Monday. However, some students said it was not until an hour later that they received an alert email from the university when the shooting was and still is at large.

DSU spokesman Carlos Holmes said the university was not originally convinced that there was a threat. According to Holmes, when campus police received a call about the shooting, there was no indicator of anything having taken place as there was no victim, no blood, or anything that could be connected to a shooting. Holmes said it was not until Bayhealth Medical Center called police that they discovered for certain that a student was shot. According to Holmes, the university did not play any role in transporting the victim to the hospital and was uncertain how he managed to get to the hospital. Holmes said once the university received word about the shooting, that is when officials went through the process of sending out alerts.

Some students were understanding of the delayed response.

"You just never know what may have happened on their part," said DSU junior Brandon Brooks. "They may have sent it out. It could have been something wrong with the email."

But for others, a delay during an emergency was unacceptable.

"It's kind of dangerous because a lot could happen," explained DSU sophomore Justin Rorie, who was at the Living Learning Commons where the shooting had occurred. "The shooter was still at large."

The shooting took place in the parking lot of the Early College High School which is located behind the Living Learning Commons off-campus facility. High School students were being dismissed at the time of the shooting.

Kallie Halliday said information about the incident was not told to the students.

"None of the teachers would really tell us about what happened," Halliday said. "I didn't even know until after I got on the bus."

Her mother, Janet Halliday, did not receive any notification from ECHS about the incident.

"The school never let us know anything, All we found out was on the news." she said. "A nice friendly telephone call or email or like we have an alert now system that goes out to everybody would have been nice just to say this is what happened."

According to the university, there has been no arrest made yet in connection with the shooting.

Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices