Rehoboth Commissioners Discuss Adding E-Cigs to Ban - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Rehoboth Commissioners Discuss Adding E-Cigs to Ban

Posted:

REHOBOTH BEACH, Del.- At Monday's Rehoboth Beach Commissioners meeting, the commissioners discussed the success of the newly implemented smoking ban, as well as possibly including e-cigarettes to the ban.

Commissioner Stan Mills led the ban.

"On a personal basis, I do feel the expanded cigarette ban is a success," he explained. "By way of looking at the reduction of the litter along the boardwalk especially and on the beach and by the amount of compliance."

Steve Curson is a Rehoboth Beach resident who started the petition that brought the ban to the commissioners attention in the first place. He said he agrees that the ban, which started this May, was overall a success

"I think we had a great year," he said. "It was a little bit of a challenge at first because every week we had new people coming down that didn't know the law or didn't know the rules but in the end they did and overall I think it was a great success for the city."

After seeing successful compliance with the regular smoking ban, the commissioners are now looking at adding e-cigarettes to that ban. This was preliminarily discussed at the meeting.

"Seeing people smoke e-cigarettes within the banned areas, does that send the wrong message?" Mills said. "And confuse smokers, other smokers, people in our law enforcement group."

E-cigarette retailers, like at Efactor Vape on Route 1, said banning their product could hurt summer business. They also said it is not fair to punish those who use e-cigarettes, since they are using a better alternative to smoking.

Curson said he isn't sold on this idea either.

"The big complaints we had about the cigarettes don't really apply to the e-cigarettes as far as the smoke and the smell and everything else that goes along with it," he explained.

The commissioners decided to have Mills draft an ordinance to add e-cigarettes to the current ban and it will come up in future discussions. Mills did say, however, that Mayor Sam Cooper was not on board.

  • Most Popular VideosMost Popular VideosMore>>

  • Micro Homes For The Homeless In Ellendale

    Micro Homes For The Homeless In Ellendale

    A community activist in Sussex County has a vision for change--change he hopes will benefit the homeless population

    More

    A community activist in Sussex County has a vision for change--change he hopes will benefit the homeless population

    More
  • Second Wave of Debris, Pollution Enter Bay After Conowingo Dam Opens Gates

    Second Wave of Debris, Pollution Enter Bay After Conowingo Dam Opens Gates

    Rain and flooding decimated neighborhoods and towns in Northern Pennsylvania earlier this week. Now, all that water flowing down the Susquehanna River has reached the Conowingo Dam, rising fast and forcing engineers to open up six dam gates on Wednesday. Exelon, the dam's owner, expects to open more gates as water levels peak on Thursday.

    More

    Rain and flooding decimated neighborhoods and towns in Northern Pennsylvania earlier this week. Now, all that water flowing down the Susquehanna River has reached the Conowingo Dam, rising fast and forcing engineers to open up six dam gates on Wednesday. Exelon, the dam's owner, expects to open more gates as water levels peak on Thursday.

    More
  • Dover Air Force Base to Play Role in Identifying Korean War Remains

    Dover Air Force Base to Play Role in Identifying Korean War Remains

    A DNA identification laboratory at Dover Air Force Base will be playing a critical role in identifying the presumed remains of U.S. servicemen returned by North Korea only a couple weeks ago. The United States was given 55 containers of remains believed to hold remains former service members in late July, following diplomatic talks between the U.S. and North Korea.

    More

    A DNA identification laboratory at Dover Air Force Base will be playing a critical role in identifying the presumed remains of U.S. servicemen returned by North Korea only a couple weeks ago. The United States was given 55 containers of remains believed to hold remains former service members in late July, following diplomatic talks between the U.S. and North Korea.

    More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices