Strong Holiday Shopping Season Wraps up with Post-Christmas Rush - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

Strong Holiday Shopping Season Wraps up with Post-Christmas Rush

Posted:

DOVER, Del. (WBOC) - The day after Christmas marks the start of the end of the holiday shopping season. But it is still one of the biggest shopping days of the year.

Friday all was about returns for Mark Byam. He hit up JC Penny, Old Navy and Boscov's.

"I'm exchanging some items for other ones. I'm trying to find the right sizes for some of my family members," he said.

"We're doing some returns, and we're going to get more gifts for people we forgot or missed," said Cynthia Acevedo, who was also out in the mall

Kyla Harris was happy with everything she got this year. She was at the mall looking for deals and using some gift cards.

"Phone, shoes, clothes. I'm looking for phone cases."

She says shopping this season was hectic, chaotic - though not in a bad way. And Harris felt like she had extra money this year to shop. The reason was the recent steep drop in gas prices.

"I work in Smyrna. I live in Dover. I can fill my car up. I only have to do it once a week," Harris said. ""It got me a lot. It saved me some."

"I'm not going to the pump as much," Byam said. "That's leaving me with extra in my pocket. It's allowed me to purchase more items."

Nationwide Mastercard estimates 2014 holiday spending was up five and a half percent from 2013. The National Retail Federation also expected a significant jump in spending. It made for a merry Christmas-time for businesses and people alike.

"It's been great," said Byam. "I've enjoyed it."

The Dover Mall is open late Friday - until 10 p.m. Then it returns to a more normal schedule.

Milford Crash Shuts Down Route One, Causes Critical Injuries

Jul 15, 2018 9:08 PM2018-07-16 01:08:00 GMT
    Sunday, July 15 2018 9:08 PM EDT2018-07-16 01:08:48 GMT
    MILFORD, Del.- A Sunday evening crash put multiple people in the hospital and shut down both directions of Route One for hours. According to the Delaware State Police, the crash took place at New Wharf Road and Bay Road in Milford. Both the Delaware StateMore

Maryland Man Killed in Millsboro Crash

Jul 15, 2018 8:33 PM2018-07-16 00:33:00 GMT
    Sunday, July 15 2018 8:33 PM EDT2018-07-16 00:33:01 GMT
    MILLSBORO, Del.- A Maryland man is dead after a crash in Millsboro Saturday afternoon. According to the Delaware State Police, around 1:15 p.m., a 48-year-old Laurel woman was driving south on Route 24 near Nine Foot Road with the intention of turning lefMore

Traffic Alert Issued Ahead of Fallen Trooper's Funeral in Lewes on Monday

Jul 15, 2018 10:25 PM2018-07-16 02:25:00 GMT
    Sunday, July 15 2018 10:31 PM EDT2018-07-16 02:31:56 GMT
    LEWES, Del.- The Delaware Department of Transportation is warning drivers in the Lewes area to expect delays and road closures as a fallen Delaware State Trooper is laid to rest Monday. DelDOT says parts of Route One, Route Nine, and the Five Points interMore