WBOC Website and Twitter Page Hit by Cyber Attacks - WBOC-TV 16, Delmarvas News Leader, FOX 21 -

WBOC Website and Twitter Page Hit by Cyber Attacks

Posted: Updated:
Screen captures of the hacked WBOC.com and WBOC Twitter page. Screen captures of the hacked WBOC.com and WBOC Twitter page.
  • Related LinksMore>>

  • Key Military Command's Twitter, YouTube Sites Attacked

    Key Military Command's Twitter, YouTube Sites Attacked

    Monday, January 12 2015 1:20 PM EST2015-01-12 18:20:40 GMT
    Monday, January 12 2015 3:59 PM EST2015-01-12 20:59:33 GMT
    Cyber attackers claiming to be working on behalf of Islamic State militants seized control of the Twitter and YouTube sites of the military's U.S. Central Command on Monday, but the Pentagon swiftly suspended the sites and said no classified material was breached.More
    Cyber attackers claiming to be working on behalf of Islamic State militants seized control of the Twitter and YouTube sites of the military's U.S. Central Command on Monday, but the Pentagon swiftly suspended the sites and said no classified material was breached.More

SALISBURY, Md.- It was a chaotic Tuesday afternoon in the WBOC NewsPlex. And it all started when a group calling itself CyberCaliphate found i's way into WBOC's Twitter account and website.

Ethan Holland, WBOC's director of digital media, said it happened quickly. 

“Around 11 o'clock we saw that our Twitter password had been changed and we were locked out," he said. "Then around 11:30 we saw that our website had been modified."

Modified with pictures appearing to support the Islamic militant group ISIS. WBOC Web Editor Kye Parsons found himself in the center of it all.\

"We took as quick action as we possibly could," Parsons said.

While the reaction was swift, the damage was done. Links were shared with the public through WBOC.com and Twitter. Holland said WBOC was used as a mouthpiece with information that was not its own. WBOC General Manager Craig Jahelka said it was important to be proactive. 

"We needed to let everyone know this was not our doing,” he said, “and we are doing everything we can to correct the situation."

The Salisbury Police Department was contacted and subsequently passed the information along to the FBI, which has been speaking with WBOC about the incident. The FBI said similar attacks have been quietly happening to media companies across the United States.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Local Fans React to Cape-Smyrna "Basketbrawl"

    Local Fans React to Cape-Smyrna "Basketbrawl"

    Feb 23, 2018 10:21 PM2018-02-24 03:21:00 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 10:22 PM EST2018-02-24 03:22:26 GMT
    DOVER, Del.- After a fight broke out at a high school basketball game on Thursday night, local fans were shocked that violence ensued during a playoff match-up. The fight broke out before the conference game between Cape Henlopen and Smyrna finished at MiMore
    After a fight broke out at a high school basketball game on Thursday night, local fans were shocked that violence ensued during a playoff match-up. More
  • Worcester County State's Attorney Deems Social Media Threats to Schools Inaccurate

    Worcester County State's Attorney Deems Social Media Threats Inaccurate

    Feb 24, 2018 7:50 PM2018-02-25 00:50:00 GMT
    Saturday, February 24 2018 8:03 PM EST2018-02-25 01:03:05 GMT
    The Office of the State's Attorney for Worcester County said Saturday that information circulating social media that is causing people to question whether or not county schools are safe is false.More
    The Office of the State's Attorney for Worcester County said Saturday that information circulating social media that is causing people to question whether or not county schools are safe is false. More
  • No Home Confinement for Former Delaware Prison Guard

    No Home Confinement for Former Delaware Prison Guard

    Feb 23, 2018 5:07 PM2018-02-23 22:07:00 GMT
    Friday, February 23 2018 5:07 PM EST2018-02-23 22:07:14 GMT
    A federal judge says he has no authority to allow home confinement for a former Delaware prison guard sentenced to three years for smuggling drugs and cellphones to inmates.More
    A federal judge says he has no authority to allow home confinement for a former Delaware prison guard sentenced to three years for smuggling drugs and cellphones to inmates.More
Powered by Frankly

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WBOC. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices